What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love chanterelles. It won't be mushroom time here til after the first rain. I am hoping FIL will take me out and show me some of his spots. But he usually doesn't feel like doing much these days. :(

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I got a new chainsaw for my birthday !!!!! My old one was 12" and less than 1 hp. The new one is 14" and 1.5 hp, and wow can I tell the difference !!! I wrote about it today on my blog, "Quart Jars and Chicken Poop" http://qjcp.blog.com/

Shameless.

big brown horse said:
What did you use to cut up your wood Ladychef2k?

Went mushroom hunting on my land and found about $15 worth of chanterelles!! Mushroom soup coming up!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I would love to get a bunch of soap-making stuff for my b-day :)

We saved $ today by picking up windfall apples at some relative's farm. They are pretty beat up, but it's amazing how much sauce you can get from apples that would otherwise get dumped in their cow gutters.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
be careful on the chainsaw.

my neighbor ( a young guy with a new baby daughter) works for the county and they were sent out to cut trees down around the roadsides etc. Well he was using a chainsaw for a quick cut and it backlashed on him somehow and cut him across the chest. From the collarbone down his front to his side. Nasty. But being young of course he has recovered fast. BUT they said if up like 3 inches into his neck would have been in severe trouble.

Oh my I hate and love chainsaws.
I hate and love circular saws.
I hate and love band saws.

but all that cutting sure gives me the willies sometimes. just the thought of what can happen...UGH

(PS: I despise working with electricity also. *shivers* LOL

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
be careful on the chainsaw.

my neighbor ( a young guy with a new baby daughter) works for the county and they were sent out to cut trees down around the roadsides etc. Well he was using a chainsaw for a quick cut and it backlashed on him somehow and cut him across the chest. From the collarbone down his front to his side. Nasty. But being young of course he has recovered fast. BUT they said if up like 3 inches into his neck would have been in severe trouble.

Oh my I hate and love chainsaws.
I hate and love circular saws.
I hate and love band saws.

but all that cutting sure gives me the willies sometimes. just the thought of what can happen...UGH

(PS: I despise working with electricity also. *shivers* LOL
That is terrible! I am always scared that the chain is going to snap and fly toward my face. I am also scared that I might cut off my toes. They realy scare me, but I still want one! I've rented them before (during hurricane season in TX) and I know how to use one, but they still scare me.

The other saws don't scare me as much, but there is something wild and untamed about a chain saw.

Electricity scares the fire out of me too. When I have to change a fixture, I prefer to do it when nobody is home so I am certain that the breaker box wont get touched by anyone.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have transcribed ER reports in the past where the saw has cut into a calf or an arm or severed a digit. Believe me, I have an intense respect for their destructive abilities. But things don't get done if you let fear govern you, so I use caution and common sense. No other way to get firewood !

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I have transcribed ER reports in the past where the saw has cut into a calf or an arm or severed a digit. Believe me, I have an intense respect for their destructive abilities. But things don't get done if you let fear govern you, so I use caution and common sense. No other way to get firewood !
Yikes!!

Falling off my horse is daunting, but cutting off a digit (no matter which one!) or cutting into a calf or arm scares the blankity blank out of me! Ldychef2k, you are the master! :bow I don't think I want one anymore. If able bodied folks are ending up in the er, then I am probably too inexperienced to own one and take it out by myself.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I went in a thrift shop that was having a bag sale on clothes. :weee
Got 7 pairs of pants, 3 skirts and 3 tops. They charged me $ 2.00. Most of this looked new- except for a pair of broken in, COMFY, jeans that really fit.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
dragonlaurel, what a great deal.

I stayed home for the most part. Picked more tomatoes to make more tomato sauce, picked dry beans, luffa and popcorn. We might be getting rain later this week, so I am trying to get everything harvested that won't do well if it gets rained on. We have a lot of sweet conr still on the stalks too. But they still need more time. But I'll pick them the day before they predict the rain. They make good chicken food once they are dry. Soon our house will be looking like a storage barn. We cannot leave anything in the porch or garage, because the rats will get it. :he
So annoying!!

DD also gave me more canned dog food, that she received from her step-sister-in-law. She has way more than she can use for her dog. And since I made special dogfood for her other dog when he had cancer, she is paying me back. :D