What did you do to save $ today?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought my first set of CFL bulbs. I've been holding back because of the health issues, until I really thought about it....they are just miniature flourescent lights....I've had those in my homes for years.... :rolleyes:

3 pk for $7, 60 kw

I put them in the lights we use the most and will cont. to buy one pack at a time until I have all bulbs replaced. :thumbsup

Oh....and I'm building my hay shed and lambing pen out of "seconds" lumber that I got for $20 ~ for an entire huge bundle that took two trips to haul in my truck. It may not look as pretty as regular lumber, but its sturdy and will do the trick. ;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yesterday I hung out 3 loads of laundry, pulled weeds around my rhubarb plants & fed them to my chickens. Covered a few windows up to keep the heat out too so I did not need to turn on my a/c. Took a shower with dd last night too. Ds#1 Dgf came over to play pool instead of spending money to go out somewhere. Since he is paying rent now he comes over a little more frequently to play pool, which makes his brother & sister happy. Hanging out at least 2 more loads today, bathing the ram so dh can sheer him after he gets home from work. Planting more in my garden. Leaving the tv off too.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wonder this too freemotion. I live in a small town and it is illegal to go into the city dump even though I've seen them carting all kinds of new lumber and building materials in there.

The only thing I have seen was a guy wanting someone to take apart an old building on his property. I drove by and looked at it. Wow the wood was petrified and was so warped it could be used to build masts for ships.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday the kids and I stopped at Value Village (second hand store), I haven't been in for a while usually my sister goes and buys whatever she finds for the kids but we had time to kill. When did they start carrying material??! For $4.00 I bought enough fabric (including some polar fleece) to make beds for all 5 of the dogs to have their own, plus a crate pad for the dog next door, and still have enough left over to make some hot/cold packs. DH laughed when he saw it all and asked when I'd be brave enough to pull out the sewing machine -I'm afraid of my sewing machine (it's a 1951 Singer knee press peddle style which really moves). I think I need to look for a newer machine...

Also the grocery store had name brand soup on sale, .99 a can rather than $1.29 so I stocked up on them. They also had lean ground beef on sale for $3.59 for 2 lbs where it's normally $5.99. Popped out to the game farm before coming home, the owner cleared out her freezer for the dogs. :ya Spent $60 and got well over $200 worth of meats that she discounted plus alot of freebie meats for not just the dogs but us. Right now, I'm making elk liver treats for the dogs and everyone got wild boar hocks for breakfast. :) May pop back out today when I go to Walmart (just wasn't enough time in the day yesterday for everything), she had a box of yak meat in the "bargain freezer". Not sure if the dogs will eat it, but some of my city customers will buy it if I make treats out of it.

eta: the dogs got the hocks for breakfast...lol.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Where does one find "seconds lumber?"
Not sure what you guys call "second lumber", but here the lumber yards call that their not so "perfect" lumber. We get our lumber straight from the mill and built our fence out of "second lumber" for 1/4 of the cost it would have cost otherwise. Bonus was we didn't have to wait either as there was lots available.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
breconbcs said:
DH laughed when he saw it all and asked when I'd be brave enough to pull out the sewing machine -I'm afraid of my sewing machine (it's a 1951 Singer knee press peddle style which really moves). I think I need to look for a newer machine...
If you really do want to sell it, talk to some of the people that work at the local sewing, craft or quilt shops. A number of the older Singers are favorites of people not looking for a machine with all the bells and whistles.

My sister has a machine like, but a bit older, than yours. It was Mom's and sis has had a number of people offer to buy it from her even though it is not for sale.

edited for typos

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
keljonma said:
breconbcs said:
DH laughed when he saw it all and asked when I'd be brave enough to pull out the sewing machine -I'm afraid of my sewing machine (it's a 1951 Singer knee press peddle style which really moves). I think I need to look for a newer machine...
If you really do want to sell it, talk to some of the people that work at the local sewing, craft or quilt shops. A number of the older Singers are favorites of people not looking for a machine with all the bells and whistles.

My sister has a machine like, but a bit older, than yours. It was Mom's and sis has had a number of people offer to buy it from her even though it is not for sale.

edited for typos
I had once considered selling it, a collector who also tunes them up wanted to buy it, but then slapped myself. :) It's the only thing I have that was my grandmother's. My grandpa bought it for her as an anniversary gift and had saved for almost 2 years to do that. The collector tried it out after tuning it up and even all the small pieces for the attachments are there (hemmer, button holer, etc.). He said he'd never seen one that was complete and that worked so smoothly as if it were practically new. I may never use it again, but at least I have it to pass on to dd.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was in WalMart and they had Cottonelle tp on sale. Reg. $8.97 on for $3.97. There was no limit sign so I bought 8 packages. Now to find a place to store it all....