What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was doing a youtube search on baby goats (why? who knows? I look for happy images before going to bed!) and saw some major cuteness with itty-bitties jumping and playing. It inspired me to make an immediate start on a playground here for them.

Do they slide on the slide?!?!?!? If so, I want one! And a half dozen more baby goats to play on it! :hide

I got the pail of oregano all washed and put through the salad spinner and in the can trays that I dumpster dove for a couple weeks ago. I filled six trays, thickly, which will go into dh's car tomorrow if it is sunny out. I hope it is, because I want to get more raspberry leaves and maybe more nettles if they are not too big already. Maybe some strawberry leaves, too. Oh, and more catnip if it is not too overgrown with all this rain.

Now I understand those huge dehydrators!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
Free,
what do you use the nettles for?
This is a first for me, I will make tea or throw a bit in soups and other dishes. They are a plant with extremely high nutrition. Drying them helps break down the cell walls and release certain nutrients. I want to get them into our diet.

And they are free!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
And they are free!
Free is good! Oops there it is again. That "free is good" phrase.

Alaska, here is a nice chart of the nutritional values of some herbs. As you can see, nettle rates very high.

Free, if a person is going to dry nettle, would it matter as to how mature the plant is? For eating purposes a person would want the young tender plants; however, for tea I would not think that it would matter. What thinketh thee? :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I read that when the plants get older, just harvest the tips.

Most plants have the highest nutrient value just before flowers or just before seeds emerge. Or before the flowers open or before the seeds mature.

So I thinketh I will stopeth harvestingeth once thy nettles getteth any bigger.....eth.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do you do with the rapberry leaves?

Editted to add: My goats don't slide on the slide, they just climb.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This year I am undertaking "The Great Tea Project" and gathering, growing, and purchasing as many different plants as I can that are supposed to be good for tea. Some for health and some for taste. It was inspired by a visit to my mom who tends to not drink enough fluids, but loves herbal teas and is on a fixed income. So I am a dehydrating maniac! Raspberry leaf is a common ingredient in herbal teas, and Mom says she loves it, so watch out, raspberries in Southwick, if I see ya, I pick ya!

I only drink standard black tea and homemade spice tea (ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg) so I will try to develop a taste for herbal teas. I suspect that the homemade versions will be worlds away from the storebought ones, if the difference between my own "chai spice" and Stash Chai is any indicator.....and Stash is a great brand.

As for gallons of nettles, Tall, that depends on whether thou art referring to fresh, just dried, or pounded down in the jar to get another batch to fit in the same jar! I have two Costco peanut jars full, with one squishing done so far. I will transfer to glass when the final batch is done and I know how much storage space I need. I only know of one nettle patch location right now, I've picked it twice, and will go back today to check it out. It's been raining for a week here off and on, and it was a busy work week for me, too. Gotta pay that mortgage....9 more years!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I toucheth thy nettles and got stungeth. It mattered not the manner nor the direction which I toucheth. I shall use the gloveth hand whilst commencing with thy nettles. :cool: