What did you do to save $ today?

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I saved money today by being patient and waiting for the library to reopen instead of running out and buying the book I wanted to read. It was worth the wait and it saved me $24.95! :cool:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yaklady said:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1426_pc130031.jpg

Ate one of the free ducks that I got off of CL. Read my 'Joy of Cooking' cookbook, which told me to remove the breasts and prepare them separately, pan-searing them and serving them rare. Did so, with a gravy made from the drippings of the rest of the duck, which was slow-cooked in the oven with a white wine sauce. OMG, you guys!!!!!! I had no idea that duck breasts cooked this way would taste exactly like a good beef steak. Holy Wow! This was one of the best dinners ever. I'm hoping that Santa brings me an incubator so that I can hatch out some more of these guys. I held back a Cayuga drake and two females, and three Pekin females, and an IR drake. Seriously, if you haven't tried duck like this before, I would soooooo recommend it. I've had duck many times, but not like this. Pan-seared breasts served rare is the way to go!
Ok, since I will be having ducks in the spring, I am asking that you pleeeeeease post how you cooked this in the recipe section. did I say please? It looks absolutely delicious, and i have never been a duck fan.

Please!!!?!?!? :drool

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Today I have laid the groundwork to save/make money by deciding to rent out a room in my home. I placed an ad online and hopefully will get some interest. It would be fabulous to have it rented by the end of January. :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We saved money by negotiating a good rate on a hotel room, and the bonus is they serve supper and breakfast, complimentary, saving us about $75.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took everything out of our safe deposit box and closed the account. I think it was about $35 a year just to hold a buncha papers.

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made a lovely loaf of rye bread and some thyme biscuits, which were a little dry but I will continue to experiment with my biscuit recipe. Let's see, biscuits are about $1.99 and a loaf of rye bread is about $3.49 where I shop so I saved $5.48 by just doing it myself!

I also have a sister and nephew who will be having birthdays soon so I took two Christmas gifts I got that I know I won't use and rewrapped them with birthday wrap and will personally give them to my sister and nephew when they come visit me next week. I saved money on the gifts and on the postage! :cool:

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned 1/2 pints of ham, pulled bbq pork, and ham & beans this week so my husband could take nutritious food with him when he's out over the road in his big truck. We save a ton of money when he's not buying fast food or prepared microwaveable foodstuffs.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
GoddessDanu said:
I saved money today by being patient and waiting for the library to reopen instead of running out and buying the book I wanted to read. It was worth the wait and it saved me $24.95! :cool:
I need to work on my willpower in the book area....thank you for posting this! And welcome to the forum!:welcome

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Today I took a friend up on on her offer to take me out to lunch so I didn't have a to pay anything for a lovely meal and I got to spend time with her, which is rare these days.

I also dug in couches, drawers, the sofa, and our truck to find my DH enough money to buy his smokes for the week. I wish he'd give up smoking but since he won't at least he can buy his smokes now without touching our rent money! Hey, maybe my money hoarding will inspire him to find cheaper tobacco or maybe even to give it up completely. A girl can wish, can't she? :p

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Every year lately I have been doing a garden seed inventory on New Years Eve ( I know, how fun). I write down all the seed packets I have, how much is in them and how old they are. Only then do I actually seriously go through the seed catalogs I have been drooling over as they arrive. New years day and a few days after I filter the catalogs out with the list of replacements and new projects. It is amazing how much shipping charges vary. I saved over $50 on 2 blue berry bushes and a dozen lily plants by not ordering from a catalog that said spend $50 ang get $25 off. Right, with their inflated prices and horrible shipping charge I paid less. So have learned to be more careful.