What did you Forage today?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ok, while I am no Euell Gibbons, I do like to keep a lookout for wild foods. I recently picked crabapples and made a lovely and delicious jelly. I have picked lots of wild berries, eaten wild greens, wild carrots, onions and nuts, and seaweed when we lived on the coast.

What have you foraged/hunted/found in the way of edibles?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Great thread!

Right now the blackberries are all over. My daughter and I went to the local park and scored a big tupperware bowl full.

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It is all about the blackberries here at the moment. I've already picked over 8lb, and there are more left on the bushes than I could ever manage. I'm planning cordial, jelly, chutney, all kinds of goodies.

Also the odd apple/crabapple tree, the nuts are (slooooowly) getting closer to picking time, and the rosehips are finally turning pink. In another month they'll all be there, along with the sloes and damsons. Can't wait!

I love foraging, there is nothing as satisfying as free food, I reckon.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Cool thread idea. I haven't done a lot of foraging here in Colorado, but I probably should. I used to forage in Wisconsin. You could bring a picnic basket with you went out in the morning and never have to touch it when you came home at sunset.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Blackberries, blackberries and blackberries. I haven't checked my notes, but I would guess that I have picked at least 20 gallons. My hands are seriously scratched and purple-black stained :D

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
BBH, I have tons of recipes, I'll post a selection later on today when I get a chance.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
While picking berries, I have noticed quite a few types of mushrooms in the woods. It has been fairly wet for summer around here. I know morels, but I keep wonder what other edibles I am trampling! Does anybody else shroom hunt this time of year in the midwest?