What DIY projects are you working on right now!

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw a cool set up for chickens- kind of like a giant shish-kebab... they strung pieces of fruit and veggies onto a string and hooked it up to two fences. The holes in the food were slightly larger than the cordage, so when they get pecked they sort of spin around a bit.
That is a good idea! Maybe I will switch it up, do this, and the hanging feed bags, so they don't get to good at, or bored of either boredom buster! Good idea!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I saw a cool set up for chickens- kind of like a giant shish-kebab... they strung pieces of fruit and veggies onto a string and hooked it up to two fences. The holes in the food were slightly larger than the cordage, so when they get pecked they sort of spin around a bit.
I've seen that for dogs! Didnt think of chickens! That sounds fun! My kids would like to make them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am imagining a DIY bathtub drain plug. I get dizzy in a bath, and am sometimes unable to sit up an pull the plug. I have a pop-up drain plug I can open with my foot, but its wearing out and unreliable. There are people with my diagnosis who have had near-drowning experiences by fainting in a bathtub, hottub, or pool, so its not something I can safely delay fixing/replacing.

My imagined solution is an ordinary rubber drain plug with a ball "bobber" on a lightweight chain. Since my service dog in training lies on the floor next to the tub anyway, I can train him to pull the plug out. Chances are he can/will learn to do it automatically if I'm unwell.

I havent figured out what to use for the ball, or how to attach a chain securely without putting a hole in it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You got me thinking about boredom busters for chickens @MistyWeeg13 ! I'm thinking of stuffing a .. cage, suet holder, something... with leftover greens and maybe veggie scraps.

Another one that caught my attention is to take an old wine corkscrew, hang it, and screw food on it, like an apple or small cabbage. A long nail sticking out of the wall is more my style. I dont have an extra corkscrew and I'm not buying one for chickens.

a long nail sticking out of the wall would be like a magnet for me to fall against. it just seems that some things attract my klutzyness and are accidents waiting to happen... also if the birds get "active" flying around i'd wonder if they'd stick themselves on it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom makes lap quilts all winter for vets and hospice, she's had a tough time getting fabric lately with everyone making masks and her usual supply has stopped stocking sheets but she has a hotel up north that she's good friends with everyone there so they save their old sheets that they need to replace and she can use them as batting. yesterday the weather was cold and chances of rain so we did the trip up north to go pick them up. so now we have a carload of sheets she'll have to wash (she can't stand the smell of the detergent they use) and cut up for her quilts. a good project for the rainy days and the rest of the winter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
a long nail sticking out of the wall would be like a magnet for me to fall against. it just seems that some things attract my klutzyness and are accidents waiting to happen... also if the birds get "active" flying around i'd wonder if they'd stick themselves on it.
My Silkies dont do active. 😂 They dont scratch or roost! But I think youre right for most coops/flocks

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today i'm planting garlic so i had to break up some bulbs for cloves to plant. i have some cloves that i can peel and store in the fridge for a few months, but there are also some other cloves that are in bad enough shape that i can trim parts of them off to use but not be very good for storage. so that will be tomorrow's project dealing with the odds and ends. i'll grind them up and drench them with lemon juice and then pack them in small jars and film containers to freeze. they will keep like that for a few years. the film containers i'd been contemplating getting rid of them since i didn't have any seeds to store in them any longer (i've moved on to some different containers and don't want too many different sizes to deal with now. so they can be repurposed until they break. perhaps they won't work well anyways. i'm pretty sure Mom won't like them, but i'll double or triple bag them to keep the smell down. :)

the garlic i didn't use is still left as bulbs and it will store in the garage wrapped in a few towels so it can breath but not get any light. should keep until Jan/Feb ok at least. if we don't cook with it by then i'll grind it up too and put it in jars and freeze it.