what do I do....sick kids

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My children have been sick off and on for the last week and a half. It started with allergy like symptoms...runny nose, drainage, cough first thing in the morning and then off and on. Better as the day went along but congested in the mornings.

Then two saturdays ago (feb 26) my daughter had diarrhea twice. Sunday she still had diarrhea 3 times. Monday all was well. At 8pm my son threw up and went to bed. He was fine the next day but my DD threw up at 4:30am and then again at 5am. She didn't eat anything all day. She took a 2 1/2 hour nap and threw up again. It has mostly been mucus-y and water.

She was fine for the next 2 days and then threw up 3 more times on Friday. Saturday and Sunday she had diarrhea again. Today she has been fine. She has never run a fever during any of this. She is grazing as usual and just finished 3 pieces of toast. She is eating fruit in moderation, yogurt (with probios), and her poop has been better today...still soft but not like water as before.

So, do I take her to the doctor or just keep on keeping on? With no fever and everything being so sporadic I don't know what is going on. Their energy levels are good, trust me (as my son does a flying leap onto the couch).

What else can I do?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would let it run it's course. Sounds like she's improving already. My sister's kids just went through this a couple weeks ago. Just a virus and as long as they were eating and drinking it's probably fine.
I personally would do vitamin D, olive leaf capsules, and probably oil of oregano drops.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Gotcha, how much oil of oregano? She is almost 4 and he is 6?

Would kombucha help?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I usually use one or two drops in a shot of OJ. Kombucha would probably be fine. I don't know if the oregano would kill the good beasties in the Kombucha or not. I usually try to take care of the virus and then work on repopulating the gut.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Gotcha, I need to get some grapefruit seed oil extract too so I can get the oil of oregano at the same time. Thanks!

She just ate half an apple and is getting ready to go to the dentist. She seems to be fine today. One day at a time right?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep. Kids can be freakishly resilient, huh?

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For my kids I usually rub the oil of oregano on their feet. That stuff can be awful to little tummies, especially if they're already not freeing kinda yucky. You can also rub garlic on their feet with it. My kids call it pizza feet :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, thought all was better and Maddie threw up twice this morning but it was all white frothy mucus which leads me to believe she is swallowing all the junk running down the back of her throat. She refuses to blow her nose.

Then she had loose poop again and it smells sick. She hasn't wanted to eat anything today but she says she feels better. I'm thinking I'm gonna go get that oil of oregano today. I don't know about their vitamin d. They live outside when the weather is nice and drink milk every day. I don't know.

If it weren't for the mucus I may think the diarrhea is linked to a food allergy. I am allergic to wheat and she ate a bagel last night before bed so it makes sense. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't be giving her that oregano oil orally...it will be too much on a young belly. I second the idea of rubbing it on her feet. I would never give that stuff to a child, have you ever tried it? We use it alot here, only on those over 12 would I allow an oral dose