what do I do....sick kids

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, I got the oil of oregano that is mixed with the olive oil as a base. I put one small drop on a piece of her chicken at lunch and she ate it. She is feeling better and the diarhhea is better. She seems okay from it. I may put a bit on her feet tonight and see if I can get her to wear some socks. Gonna smell like a pizza.

I took one or two drops at lunch just to be on the safe side since I'm the one cleaning her up all the time and even though I'm washing my hands like crazy I'm sure I could manage to catch something.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Well, thought all was better and Maddie threw up twice this morning but it was all white frothy mucus which leads me to believe she is swallowing all the junk running down the back of her throat. She refuses to blow her nose.

Then she had loose poop again and it smells sick. She hasn't wanted to eat anything today but she says she feels better. I'm thinking I'm gonna go get that oil of oregano today. I don't know about their vitamin d. They live outside when the weather is nice and drink milk every day. I don't know.

If it weren't for the mucus I may think the diarrhea is linked to a food allergy. I am allergic to wheat and she ate a bagel last night before bed so it makes sense. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Mucous is a sign of food intolerance as well.
Really only one to find out, and that is keep her gluten free for a couple weeks, then let her have a slice of bread.
Children of parents with Celiacs or the like, are 40% more likely to have it as well.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
She seems fine today...I just want to get rid of this stuff. The birthday party is Saturday so I think I will try omitting wheat for her after that and see what happens.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm chiming in very late here, but we're avid oregano oil users here. As well as some other good stuff - but OO is our go to "medicine" of choice.

With seven kiddos we have increased odds of illnesses in our family - I have a few who have to touch everything and insist on putting their fingers in their mouths or up their noses regulalry. We take Vit D at 35iu per pound for everyone in the family. Lots of Vitamin C if there is a bug or we've been exposed to anything. We'll use herbal teas to help strengthen the immune system - but again, only if there has been exposure (usually echinaccea and/or elderberry). I used to make some herbal tinctures however, since using oregano oil I truely haven't needed them. I also like to use garlic and occasionally we'll use silver as well.

My kiddos tend to get a cold or two a year - not bad for a family of our size. I think my hubby has had a few mild illnesses in the past 3 years and I haven't been sick at all in that time - I've felt it coming on, but I've been able to nip it in the bud before it settles. Finding oregano oil has been a HUGE blessing for us!

We're pretty liberal with the oil - we use the brand Oregoil (Azure Standard carries it, not sure where else it can be found). It's in an olive oil base. It is far less expensive than the North American Herb and Spice brand and it's been extremely effective for us. Here's how we usually dose it:

Given under the tongue, with a glass of water at the ready to wash it down. If it's used as a preventative due to exposure it's generally just 1x daily, if kids are actually sick we use it 2x a day.

3yo gets 1 drop
5yo gets 2 drops
6 yo gets 2-3 drops
9 yo gets 3 drops
11 and 13 yo get 4 drops each
16 yo takes up to 8 drops
Dh takes anywhere from 6-10
I take 8-12

Prior to about 2.5 yo, I rubbed a drop or two onto each foot at nap time and bed time. With congestion I've rubbed a drop or two onto the chest as well.

More info than you wanted, I'm sure but just thought I'd let you know what has been successful for us with a house load of kids over the past few years.

HTH,
Debbi

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
They seem to be doing better...well DS wasn't really feeling yucky, just DD. They have been eating lots of fruit and veggies lately and everytime my DD goes to the potty she exclaims "mommy, my poop isn't runny!!!"

She had 1 drop once a day for 2 days and boom...gone. She had a bit of a runny poo last night but I think it was all the grapes she ate at her party.

Thanks everyone!