What do I do with chicken fat?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What can I do with chicken fat and skin? Seems like I can do something with it. I leave it on when I'm making stock or bone broth, but otherwise I have this little bowl of blobs. My dogs are already kind of porky, so I don't want to just give it to them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Use the fat to make a chicken pot pie crust. The skin, you can fry in a bit of butter, add sea salt and eat for a snack. :p (You can thank Freemotion for those tips on fat and skin.)

Otherwise, use it when you make your bone broths. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I can just pitch it back into the freezer? And then melt the fat when I want to use it?

Might have to try the fried skin right now... sounds awful, but I love it on fried chicken!

Edited to add: And it was delish! I'm glad I was the only one home since there wasn't much and I didn't want to share. I decided to fry up that first zucchini, too. Why is that first veggie of the season so dang good? :D I don't want to share it, either!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We always leave it on the chicken and use it for dumplings. They're good! :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I just cook with it till it's gone :p It is obviously not what you'd want for making a vinaigrette salad dressing or something like that, but pretty much anything you want COOKING fat/oil for, it works fine.

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Marianne said:
So I can just pitch it back into the freezer? And then melt the fat when I want to use it?

Might have to try the fried skin right now... sounds awful, but I love it on fried chicken!

Edited to add: And it was delish! I'm glad I was the only one home since there wasn't much and I didn't want to share. I decided to fry up that first zucchini, too. Why is that first veggie of the season so dang good? :D I don't want to share it, either!
:gig
When you call it "fried skin" it does sound awful. Call it, um, "chicken crisps" or something like that. :p

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't this what they called chitlins in the south?

Makes me think of pork rinds (?? you can't peel a pig), but it sounds better than fried hide. :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We call them chicken rinds, and good luck to the rest of the family getting any.

"Gee honey, the skin feel off the chicken again! I have no idea how that happened!"

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read that you can use the rendered fat to make soap, but it's too soft to use by itself, so it'd have to be used with other fats/oils.

Latest posts