What do I do with chicken fat?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Matzo balls. You don't have to be Jewish to like them. http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/tips/2009/04/matzo_ball_101

If you aren't Jewish (I am not) you can use just regular dry, fine breadcrumbs. If you run out of chicken fat (or want to try something new) you could use butter or lard or beef marrow, which is quite delicious - heat the marrow bones for a bit to loosen the marrow, then poke it out with a knife. Melt it over low heat, and drain it through a fine sieve (possible fine bone slivers). Use it as the fat in the dumplings.

Chicken fat also makes a good pastry for for savory pies (I mix it half and half with butter); also is good for frying potatoes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Also, for chicken skin, if you slice it into narrow slivers and use it to top a casserole, it comes out like a chicken-flavored version of those scary fried onion rings in the cardboard can that all true 1960s-origin casseroles are topped with. Very tasty, and of course much better for you, not to mention cheaper :)

I particularly like doing this with the parts of the skin off a roast chicken that did not get real "roast-y"... you know, the parts that stay sort of soft and floppy. Save in freezer and haul 'em out next time you make a casserole.

Pat

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow. And here I've been pitching this stuff for years. I have learned so much from you guys!

I told DH about the fried chicken skin crisps when he called last night. After a long pause, he said, 'I don't know about that'. I'm sure after he tries one, he'll be hooked, too. But then I'll have to keep my wooden spoon handy to whack him so I get my fair share.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Does he like the crispy skin off roast chicken? Cuz that's the same thing. Only it's fried in its fat in an upright position atop the chicken, as opposed to in a flat position in a frypan. Otherwise, same-same :)

Pat