What do i do with old rusty rings and seals from canning jars?

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
You can use them, with a bit of windowscreen or clean cheesecloth, to sprout seeds in (like for sandwiches and stuff, alfalfa sprouts etc)

Pat
Interesting you should mention this. Years ago, I bought a special dark jar for doing sprouts. It's dark brown like the good root beer is bottled in but is like a quart canning jar. The top is a canning ring with a fine stiff window screen for good air circulation and easily rinsing the sprouts.

Anyone could do this with a regular canning jar if they have a dark place to keep it while the sprouts are growing.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I haven't ever heard of doing that, but i do love alfalfa sprouts. Perhaps i will have to learn! :)

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One idea is to save some along with jars that have chips or whatever and are no longer useful for canning, and use them for storage. When I was a kid , I used to collect bugs and snakes and stuff, and my favorite jars to use were canning jars and lids(much to my grandparents displeasure lol).
On a side note, a bud at work has been saving all our old saw blades for years now to male a large dragon or fish sculpture.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
I haven't ever heard of doing that, but i do love alfalfa sprouts. Perhaps i will have to learn! :)
Alfalfa is really easy, and you can use a clear jar. Just cover it with a dish cloth while it sits inverted on the counter.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
PunkinPeep said:
Alfalfa is really easy, and you can use a clear jar. Just cover it with a dish cloth while it sits inverted on the counter.
where do you get the .... (about to show my complete ignorance)

are we talking about alfalfa seeds here?

i would love to add alfalfa sprouts to my menu.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
wind chimes
hmmm interesting thought. i wonder how you would get them to make different tones. have you done this yourself? would love to see a design.