What do I do with the deer we get?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What should I tell the processor? I know we want the bones for the dogs, some ground, roasts,steaks, meat for jerky and sausage(I make it), and I want to can a lot of it. Do I just tell them that or is there certain cuts I need? The hubby is hunting for the first time today. If he doesn't get one we are getting 1/4 of a cow.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Why don't you just process it yourself? It's really easy and free and you get exactly what you want every time. There are plenty of YT videos to show you many methods on how to do what.

BTW, I love your optimism! :)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's the goal. For now though we just need to get through this first deer. I'm so happy that he found some buddies to go with from work. It will be my first time canning too. I wanted to earlier but the garden died on me. I guess that's what happens when you have a baby in August during a drought :hu. We did our first bunch of meat birds this year too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I envy you all those first times! There is truly nothing like them in the world and they contain most of the learning opportunities that one can have. I love to learn and am still learning but as you age and add to the skill set, the first times are more and more behind you.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just tell them you want some steaks/chops, a couple roasts, some ground (they will likely add beef fat for this) and you want the rest for canning and sausage making. Then tell them how much pork fat you want for your sausage and you want to keep some of the bones for your dogs. Oh wait, that's what you said in the OP;) There's really no mystery in it, they'll give you what you ask for. Bear in mind though, deer have very little fat so you will be adding it from another animal. If you plan to keep the hide, tell them that and if you plan on brain tanning it be sure to let them know you want to keep the brain. If you want to make coat racks or anything like that, be sure to remove the legs before you bring it in...OH, if you wind up with a huge rack and want a head mount be sure to let them know to cut the cape extra long for the taxidermist.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny said:
What should I tell the processor? I know we want the bones for the dogs, some ground, roasts,steaks, meat for jerky and sausage(I make it), and I want to can a lot of it. Do I just tell them that or is there certain cuts I need? The hubby is hunting for the first time today. If he doesn't get one we are getting 1/4 of a cow.
tell the butcher its your first time to butcher a deer, a good butcher will tell you what he normally does with other peoples deer and will ask things he needs to know that will ultimatly give you ideas for processing your deer. your husbands friends from work will also be able to help with this area as well.

I will also be needing your jerky and sausage recipes please :D

ThrottleJockey said:
Just tell them you want some steaks/chops, a couple roasts, some ground (they will likely add beef fat for this) and you want the rest for canning and sausage making. Then tell them how much pork fat you want for your sausage and you want to keep some of the bones for your dogs. Oh wait, that's what you said in the OP;) There's really no mystery in it, they'll give you what you ask for. Bear in mind though, deer have very little fat so you will be adding it from another animal. If you plan to keep the hide, tell them that and if you plan on brain tanning it be sure to let them know you want to keep the brain. If you want to make coat racks or anything like that, be sure to remove the legs before you bring it in...OH, if you wind up with a huge rack and want a head mount be sure to let them know to cut the cape extra long for the taxidermist.
as someone else stated butchers cost money and if you have the butcher clean your deer(the ones in my area will not clean, only process them) this will probably cost extra. the last time I had a pig butchered I was told usda will not let brains leave the shop as a "human consumption" item so check with the butcher on this(if you clean it yourself you can keep whatever you want).

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Why don't you just process it yourself? It's really easy and free and you get exactly what you want every time. There are plenty of YT videos to show you many methods on how to do what.

BTW, I love your optimism! :)
Ditto
It really isn't that hard to process one yourself and I am far more picky about getting every last hair off than our local processors. It's just time consuming but the savings more than make up for it. I don't have any special out building either just my kitchen and sharp knives. Funny story about processing, youngest DD brought her boyfriend home to meet DH and myself 2 years ago and when they walk in the door I am cutting and wrapping a really nice venison on the kitchen counter with blood covering my hands. She introduces boyfriend to me and tells him without batting an eye " you don't want to pi$$ her off" poor guy was born and raised in Las Vegas and I still think he is freaked out about it. :ep Until that day I'm sure he thought all food comes from the store. :lol:

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I brought a deer in for "processing" exactly once. It was only like $45 but I was less than pleased. Ever since I've handled it myself. I don't like bones with my venison so my first step after skinning it is to remove the vast majority of the meat while still hanging in the garage over a tarp. I have done a few for friends that prefer the bone in their steaks so for that I quarter it, freeze it and use a sawzall since I don't have a bandsaw. It isn't rocket surgery..or brain science...or however that goes;) Just remember to cut against the grain, the muscle groups tend to sort themselves out.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everyone told me that processing a deer is hard, but it's not. They said it was hard to pull off the skin, but it's just not a problem. And that's coming from someone with below-average grip strength.

You do need some way to hold the deer up by the hocks, though. It's better if you can raise and lower it easily, but that's not critical.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ninny, what did you do with the deer you got? :pop

You can yank the hide off a deer in a few minutes with the use of your vehicle, four wheeler, lawn mower, etc.

5_skinning_deer_4.jpg