What do I do with the deer we get?

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another way that I use to remove the hide is also do as above stated from Beekissed, but instead of pulling it with a vehicle, we bunch a rock up in the hide, tie a cinder block to it and work it off with our knifes. This works well when you are trying to save the hide as well.
Ask some of your husbands friends if they process themselves. It is better to find someone who does it for themself and sit in or as we used to do with my mother and my brothers families and mine we would have a "butcher party" my mom tought me evreything about hunting and butchering.
We all were raised on wild game and so were our kids.
DONT FORGET!! When he gets one, and brings it home, ( I hope his friends showed him how to gut it in the field!!)
look at the deer,ask about the deer tenders, if no one has them, spread the hind legs apart, look inside, you will see 2 peices of meat toward the bottom in- between the hind quarters, but on the inside of the deer these are the deer tenders and must be harvested NOW. They are the first things lost in the aging stage of deer as they are exposed and are the best eating, simply take a knife and cut along them out, you wont hurt anything as thay are the onle real peices of meat on the inside of the deer. I explained it as best I could I hope this helps ;).
These are soaked in salt water over night, then cut through them like you are making 3" thick half dollars. hammer them out a little, dip them in egg and crushed saltin crackers and fry or bake. feel free to go nuts any time during eating as they are GREAT!! :ya
Congratulations on your new baby!! :weee

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
Another way that I use to remove the hide is also do as above stated from Beekissed, but instead of pulling it with a vehicle, we bunch a rock up in the hide, tie a cinder block to it and work it off with our knifes. This works well when you are trying to save the hide as well.
Ask some of your husbands friends if they process themselves. It is better to find someone who does it for themself and sit in or as we used to do with my mother and my brothers families and mine we would have a "butcher party" my mom tought me evreything about hunting and butchering.
We all were raised on wild game and so were our kids.
DONT FORGET!! When he gets one, and brings it home, ( I hope his friends showed him how to gut it in the field!!)
look at the deer,ask about the deer tenders, if no one has them, spread the hind legs apart, look inside, you will see 2 peices of meat toward the bottom in- between the hind quarters, but on the inside of the deer these are the deer tenders and must be harvested NOW. They are the first things lost in the aging stage of deer as they are exposed and are the best eating, simply take a knife and cut along them out, you wont hurt anything as thay are the onle real peices of meat on the inside of the deer. I explained it as best I could I hope this helps ;).
These are soaked in salt water over night, then cut through them like you are making 3" thick half dollars. hammer them out a little, dip them in egg and crushed saltin crackers and fry or bake. feel free to go nuts any time during eating as they are GREAT!! :ya
Congratulations on your new baby!! :weee
YES. These are tenderloins and are the "filet mignon" portion of the animal. The parts of a deer are basically the same as a steer so any beef cut chart will help you determine what is what.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ninny, I/we havent heard the out come of the hunting trip. just wondering if he was able to capitolize on his hunting trip?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We process our own deer and elk. We mainly make hamburger, because that's mainly what we use. Tenderloins get sliced and thrown on the grill right away, large areas of muscle gets wrarred as roast, and the backstrap (latisimus dorsi muscle that runs alongside the spine) is removed in one large piece then sliced into steaks. REMEMBER TO SLICE STEAKS IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION OR THEY WILL BE TOUGH!!! It amazes me at how many people forget this lol We set up bowls- several for the small pieces that will become hamburger, one for the roasts, and one for the steaks, and cut it all up the same day it's shot. Dont throw the shiny white membranes one the muscles into your meat grinder, unless you like that sort of thing. If you cant get the shiny white membranes off of the muscles, wrap that as a roast- it will separate in the corck pot and you wont lose any meat. I let my chickens pick the bones, but not the dog because he lives indoors and tendons & other undigestable stuff he eats gets puked up. Some people will leave their meat to hang and "age" but we dont and ours never tastes gamey. As for cooking the roasts- I always cook them in a crock pot, if done in an over they are too dry and dry, tough meat is never good unless you're making jerky. (when we make jerky, I pound steaks very thin then marinate and smoke it) When you eat the steaks, marinating is the key for tender steaks, I always use vinegar and oil in my marinades and whatever herbs I feel like. Lime or lemon juice is good in a marinade, too. I never pound steaks, only marinate.