What do I need for bad storms?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We keep having nasty storms and I really dont feel prepared for them.

I have kennels for the dogs, flashlights, charged cell phone, laptop with battery, diaper bag ready. I want to get a battery powered weather radio. What else should i get?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What type of storms? How long do you think you will go without power? Will you need heat?

Start with the basics.

food
water
shelter(keeping warm and safe)

Skip the battery powered radio and buy a wind up. They have flashlights like this as well. Mine even can charge my cell phone.

I guess it just depends on what you are trying to prepare for and what season it is.

One trick I find is to check out the emergency preparedness sites and copy what they sell.

good luck, its a great start!!!

gina

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alternate cooking source, I have two just in case.
Keep on hand easily cooked foods, the kind that won't take 3 hours on the bbq :D cans of food either home canned or store bought.
I always keep plastic utensils and paper plates because the water may go out.
Fully stocked first aid kit, I always include electrolytes just in case it's sweltering out when the storm happens.
Bottled water in the closet is a must for food prep and drinking.

Being prepared will leave you feeling better when you know storms are heading your way. Have fun shopping, these are my favorite things to shop for.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All on top of what you already have ;)
Excellent advice T.H. That is how I started to be fully prepped.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A storm shelter? :lol:
Fill any empty spaces in your freezer with bottles of water. This does 2 things, helps keep your freezer cold during blackouts and provides extra drinking water.

Oil lamps & lots of oil & wicks.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Disinfectant, baby wipes, other things to clean with. If water is out, a bucket and trash bags for a toilet. Something new for the kids to do to distract them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For you: jugs of drinking water for short outages, and a method of purifying water for longer outages (either some way to boil water -- container and something to boil it with -- or a microfilter or chemical purification setup). And a couple-few jars of peanutbutter makes a good calorie-dense long-storing food source, as long as nobody in your family is allergic.

For house: several sheets of plywood and large tarps, to temporarily repair damage to house (broken out windows, part of roof deciding to leave)

Good luck, hopefully you'll never need to use it,

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
You have received some great advice, and there isn't anything that I can add. However, I will pass along a tip regarding boiling water. If you have every drank water that has been boiled, you have probably noticed that it tastes a bit flat and less than wonderful. That's because it has lost a lot of the dissolved oxygen in the boiling process. Once the water has cooled, pour it into a sealed container and leave about a fourth of the container in airspace. Then shake the water for a few minutes and it will help add some oxygen back, hopefully improving the taste.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
First Aid Kit and if you have any prescription meds it might be a good idea to have some of those on hand.

What about a solar powered radio and some solar powered yard lights that you can charge after the storm and use them inside the house.

Did anyone mention candles and fire starters?

Clothing i.e. rain gear

A BOB in case you have to leave

A way to keep your important papers safe.

Cash