What do I need to install a wood stove

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:celebrate
I was given one of these:
stoves_castiron_boxwood.jpg

Now, I need to know some things. I currently have a built-in corner gas fireplace, so I already have the hole through the roof. I sold the gas logs a long time ago, since I never used them, but the fireplace is still there. The gas line was capped & turned back into the wallspace.
1. Can I install this myself? I have not been able to find an installer. Plenty for gas, none for wood.

If yes,
2. What pipe do I need to get? Double or triple insulated for the passage through the roof, yes. But, can regular black stovepipe be used for the remaining length to the stove? & Do I need to replace the existing chimney & cap?
3. Would a layer of firebrick covered with a heat shield be sufficient beneath the stove? I know I need to install a heat shield on the 2 walls behind the stove, spaced about 1" from the wall. I have access to purchase the shields & firebrick now that my employer started stocking them in our warehouse.

If no, you wanna come to Mississippi and install it for me? I'll feed you and everything. :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Sometimes first asking your insurance agent what they recommend saves you the time and expense of redoing it later. ;)

We have a heat shield mat placed right over hardwood floor. It was like this when we bought the place 20 years ago and operating that way since 1970 from what we were told.
Not certain what code calls for.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for saying that silvie, I hadn't thought to ask the insurance company. They don't have any "qualified" installers on a list, but they said as long as I followed standard safety guidelines, I could install it myself. Cool! So heat shields will be installed, the chimney goes 3' above the peak of the roof, now I just need some input on the piping & we'll be rocking... errr... burning :D

We do have (sometimes unfortunately) liberal building codes. Great for outbuildings & the like, but some folks here live in brand new shotgun shacks. I can show pictures.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Post pictures of what you have - a gas fireplace chimney and wood burner chimney are $1000 apart, depending on what you have that is.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pictures of what is in the house now? I can do that. I got my camera working last night again.

Its a corner gas insert. The current vent pipes are drywalled over.

I know I'd have to rip the mantle & drywall out, pull out the gas insert & all framework to restore it to a full 90 degree corner, install the heat shields, rearrange my furniture & probably replace all the pipe. Good thing is, my employer stocks all the needed material, so I can get them at wholesale prices.

ETA: Thank you both!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Sounds like you have everything covered then, heat shield, hearth, and new double wall stove pipe rated for wood with air gap clearances. Does your chimney vent to an outside wall or the roof?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Through the roof. And I just heard this morning that we are soon to be changing vendors on the stove pipe, which means we'll close out the inventory. I've already put my request in for the roof kit & pipe. :celebrate

And on suggestion from another forum, I'm going to check the chimney for a part# and see if its rated for wood. Woo hoo, I get to climb on the roof :rolleyes:

Don't you love it when a plan comes together :D