What Do I Need?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have seen enough Alaskan and South Pole tv shows to know there are hookups for behind a snowmobile. They carry their gear on them.
Now, a pull behind with seats, well I think you could easily make a sleigh type situation with rails and bench seats. Like a hay wagon ride but in smaller version :/

Google 'snowmobile uses' and see some more crazy applications for them. I bet there are tons.

drag home wood for the fire, drag home a deer kill etc etc....oh yea I want one even though I am Southern haha

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have seen MUV's for sale used at prety deacent prices and there supposedly pretty good with even fairly thick snow...(4x4) i do like them and the big rancher ATVS simply becaus eou can use them pretty much year round and they can be used for lots of things, you can buy pullbehinds like trailers, and lawnmowers ect for them, and you can buy push alongs (like plows) for them too...

but i also have never lived in your area so dont know what the snow is realy like lol. i just hate "toys" that end up haivng to spend 1/2 the year in storage (ie a snow mobile) cause there kinda useless when theres no snow on the ground lol
a big rancher style ATV with a pull behind might be the best way to go for year round type use

i think they need to make a yr round muti atvmobile type deal...
an atv with a snowmobile attatchment lol

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's anATV on our craigslist right now that you can switch out the tires for treads. Looks pretty cool to me.

I'd get a snowmobile if one was good and cheap, since I'm mostly concerned about the winter months. However, my preference would be something that I could use whenever.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh my goodness leta, that ATV loks AWESOME! too rich for my blood, and i doubt id get much use out of the treds here in western TN...but thats Almost exactly what i pictured in my head when i was dreaming up the short version of my all seasons ATV lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's 1.5 miles....how about simply feet and a sled for the kids? You could consider it a health plan! Lock up your sled at the bus stop and leave it without worrying you'll be out very much money if someone actually steals it. You could devise a harness for yourself so you could pull easily and it would be great for your lungs, full body toning and cardio.

When I was growing up we used feet to walk the mile to the bus stop....and it WAS up hill both ways...actually it was a few uphills.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL, beekissed!

Once DS is in first grade and DD is in fourth grade, they will probably be able to just walk there and back by themselves, assuming that the road has been plowed out. But DD is too little to walk there and back all alone, and DS is far too small to be left at home, and too small to walk through deep snow, yet too big to be carried the entire way.

We get serious snowfall here. The lowest recorded seasonal snowfall on record was the winter of 1930-31, and it was still over 80". Average snowfall is in excess of 100". It builds up, and the way the roads are scraped, there are often embankments that need to be scaled when on foot. Our winters last 5 to 7 months, so the bulk of the school year.

There is also the issue of temperature. It's usually -20F to -40F throughout February. I would need some type of protection for little kids in that kind of cold.

Once they are bigger, it won't be as big a deal. For the next few years, though, I'm going to have to help them get there and back, especially through the winter.

But I'm thinking that mushing there and back would be pretty cool. The dog would like it. 30 minutes, each way, two round trips, would be 2 hours of exercise per day for Nellie and me. I wouldn't need a gym membership! (Not that I have a gym membership.)

The only part of it that concerns me is DS being out in the cold for too long, which is why I'm looking at ATVs/snowmachines and tow behinds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You need advice from an Eskimo!!! :D Seal skin mukluks, sled dogs, and snow shoes sound like the only way to combat that kind of weather conditions! :th

If it were me, I'd just buy some old SUV and just use it for that trip....slap a FARM USE tag on it.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Huh, I wonder if we have Farm Use tags here. Off to check...