What do soy beans and omega three have in common?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nothing yet, but they are working on it according to a news piece on my yahoo web page today. they are working on genetically modifying soybeans to be rich in O-3, since the fish market is depleting.

:barnie I can't say more due to the fact that it would be cursing.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh brother....

Have you seen the soy commercial touting it as be all end all? How it has been this wonderful food for all of time? Can't remember the product, soyjoy maybe? I just have to shake my head.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's alive! Why why why must we mess with the natural order of foods? I don't want pig genes in my tomatoes, I don't want BT genes in my corn. I want REAL FOOD :duc

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
how bout we grow more flax up north states and make some nice linen too out of the fiber? Mama Nature did a good job with flax so why not make the most of it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Flax will not balance out a diet high in Omega 6 oils, the way most people today eat. It is balanced within itself. It won't add more Omega III's to balance an unbalanced diet, unfortunately.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Grass-fed animal products are high in Omega III's, so that is how I get mine, since for me, fish.... :sick

And I rarely use veg oil, so my ratio is not out of balance. I use veg oil for the occasional salad dressing (I really do like using drained kefir to make dressings, though!! Yum!) and for mayo. It is only an issue if you use veg oils daily. Which most people do.

Pork fat rules!!! Butter rules!!! Chicken fat rules!!!!!! Egg yolks rule!!! Cheese and whole milk and cream rule!!!! And I :drool