What do ya'll think of communal living?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
I couldn't live with one person (ex-wife) let alone dozens of nosy people. I would be afraid of exercising my opinion with a baseball bat and end up in the ultimate commune, also known as prison.
:lol:

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm far too selfish.

My land, my animals, my way.

Simple as that. I know that sounds awefully selfish, but there aren't many people I get along with that well. Even those I do get along with and love, mainly my family, it gets tiring after a while. :)

Reaction score
The hippie communes of the 60's were interesting. I imagine they were like that song Celia by Simon and Garfunkel. There would be way too many personality clashes.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think it is an interesting experiment, but if it was such a great way to live, we would see more communes.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now, I wouldn't mind being near other homesteaders who I could trade supplies with.

"I'll give you some spare rabbits for a feeder pig or two. ETC. "

But their property would be theirs and mine would be mine. If they needed help with something, I could help and vice versa.

My mother lives out towards the country and the neighbor allows his neighbors borrow tractor implements. You wouldn't believe how helpful this is. To not have to buy a $400 bushhog to mow that pasture twice a year and in return, he doesn't have to buy that manure spreader.

Helpful and understanding neighbors make all the difference in the world, but they are simply neighbors and not living on my property with me. We each have our own space and the respect that comes with that.

I hope that moving into rural VA, that I will find neighbors with a similar interest. It helps to be around people that are supportive and understanding. Where we are now, is just wayyy to urban and people give me the weirdest looks when I tell them I raise my own animals or that I want a cow. But I know that towards the mountain house in Ararat, VA, there are other people who raise cattle and even an alpaca farm and boutique. Other people who keep bees and have goats that they milk and make lotions and soaps. Yes, it means competition on the market, but still nice to be understood. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
Now, I wouldn't mind being near other homesteaders who I could trade supplies with.

"I'll give you some spare rabbits for a feeder pig or two. ETC. "

But their property would be theirs and mine would be mine. If they needed help with something, I could help and vice versa.

My mother lives out towards the country and the neighbor allows his neighbors borrow tractor implements. You wouldn't believe how helpful this is. To not have to buy a $400 bushhog to mow that pasture twice a year and in return, he doesn't have to buy that manure spreader.

Helpful and understanding neighbors make all the difference in the world, but they are simply neighbors and not living on my property with me. We each have our own space and the respect that comes with that.

I hope that moving into rural VA, that I will find neighbors with a similar interest. It helps to be around people that are supportive and understanding. Where we are now, is just wayyy to urban and people give me the weirdest looks when I tell them I raise my own animals or that I want a cow. But I know that towards the mountain house in Ararat, VA, there are other people who raise cattle and even an alpaca farm and boutique. Other people who keep bees and have goats that they milk and make lotions and soaps. Yes, it means competition on the market, but still nice to be understood. :D
That is exactly the kind of life my dad described to me that his family had on their street. Everyone owned their own property - my great grandparents deeded sections of the street and surrounded parcels to each of their children as they married. But because they were all in that area, they were able to help each other in good and bad times. No one had to take on huge expenses for anything, as they shared what they had. My dad was oldest of 17 kids, so I imagine that my grandfather and grandmother were happy to be surrounded by her parents and siblings while their children were growing up.

As a child, I just thought it was pretty terrific that I could go any where on the street and be surrounded by relatives.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
That is exactly the kind of life my dad described to me that his family had on their street. Everyone owned their own property - my great grandparents deeded sections of the street and surrounded parcels to each of their children as they married. But because they were all in that area, they were able to help each other in good and bad times. No one had to take on huge expenses for anything, as they shared what they had. My dad was oldest of 17 kids, so I imagine that my grandfather and grandmother were happy to be surrounded by her parents and siblings while their children were growing up.

As a child, I just thought it was pretty terrific that I could go any where on the street and be surrounded by relatives.
My family doesn't share similar interests with me. My husband and I, both, are black sheep among our immediate family. Our grandparent's approve of our undertakings, but everyone else questions it.

My husband's grandparents are awesome. I love them! We used to come together every year to "put up" corn, and we'd all have some to put away in the freezer. But they just found out that grandpa is allergic to corn, and as they age they are slowing down.

I feel I was born a few generations to late.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
No commune for me either... but a nice friendly farming neighborhood - NOW THAT I WOULD like! :thumbsup

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
No commune for me either. To independent. To set in my ways. And would probably end up like xpc. I like my privacy and I have very few social needs. I meet my social needs by going to the grocery store once a month. Its a nice reminder that I don't like most folks. LOL