What do you bake with pears?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Earlier in the summer i got some keiffer pears a.k.a. "canning pears" or "cooking pears." Once i figured out how to process them, i found i really liked them for freezing for pie filling, etc. They hold together very well and have great flavor when cooked.

Recently i got some other pears - "eating pears." I peeled, cored, and froze about 5 or 6 gallons worth of quarters, but i find baking with them to be a challenge. They're very juicy - which equals water in my baking dish.

I did make a very successful coffee cake with them, but i'm having a hard time doing anything else very successfully, so i'm looking for suggestions.

Should i limit my "eating pears" to canning as just pears? Or maybe some more pear butter? When they thaw, they just almost disintegrate.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you tried using a thickener with your pears? I use a tablespoon or two of "quick" (or maybe its called "instant") tapioca with juicy fruit in pies. I have made cake with pears, but the juice isn't a problem there. When I have a windfall of pears I make pear sauce and use it like apple sauce.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Pie, coffecake, fruit leather, canned, dried for bread, fresh for bread...

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Have you tried using a thickener with your pears? I use a tablespoon or two of "quick" (or maybe its called "instant") tapioca with juicy fruit in pies. I have made cake with pears, but the juice isn't a problem there. When I have a windfall of pears I make pear sauce and use it like apple sauce.
No, i haven't - except maybe flour.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to see if i can make that happen on our next trip to the big city. I don't think they sell tapioca, instant or otherwise, around here. ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You might be surprised. Look in the baking section, near the baking soda and stuff.