What do you do to cut expenses down?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that we have a lot of new members and it's been a long time since we had a thread about what we do to save money. Maybe the new folks would have a new way we hadn't thought about and maybe some of the oldsters wouldn't mind repeating their advice just one more time?

After that, maybe we could sticky it?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I make my own:
Mayonnaise
Bread
Laundry soap
ranch dressing
and other things I can't think of at the moment :p

I maintain something edible in the garden year round.
I hang my clothes to dry(saves average of 65 cents per load)
I clip coupons (and USE them :lol: )
I have stocked my cabinets/freezer so I can shop sales exclusively
I shop monthly to save on fuel unless I have to be out for an appointment anyway and then I may pick up a few things. So local errand trip planning helps alot on fuel costs.
I make Christmas gifts and other gifts
I use a reel mower rather than a gas or electric powered
I recycle anything recyclable and repurpose almost everything else
I cook from scratch, and never go out to eat(haven't been to a restaurant in 2 years) :D
I put the thermostat lower in winter and higher in summer to save on electricity.

Uhhh.......that's all I can think of right now but those are huge money savers!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All cooking from scratch. Make my own bread and rolls on a weekly basis. It has been years since I bought a loaf of bread! Have a large garden, chickens for eggs and stew pot, bees, fruit trees and berry bushes. Trying my hand at mead making and have a batch of hard cider going. Use rags and cloth napkins. Never buy pieces of chicken- always the whole bird. Use carcass for soup and stock. One of the things I really enjoy doing is stretching products amount. (I know it doesn't take much to amuse me!). I have short hair, and I am telling you I use the smallest dot of shampoo and still get plenty of suds. I dilute my dish soap, and body wash with water. I never shop in "real" stores, except grocery stores. Enjoy the treasure hunt of thrift shops. Like wannabefree, I try and reuse and recycle anything and everything. I am often looking at something and wondering, "what else could I use this for?" I love not wasting money- I actually get a kick out of doing it! Becoming debt free was the biggest money saver and best thing ever!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Lesa :lol: I enjoy it too. I make it a game sometimes to see how little I can spend especially with coupons :D It's fun in a twisted penny pincher sort of way. I LOVE thrift shops!! I haven't paid retail for much of anything in ages. I do buy have to buy socks undies and bras new though...too much ick factor otherwise.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just haven't bought socks, undies, bras in ages!! That is how cheap I am! I will have to splurge on some socks, soon. Wearing them in my gardening clogs has made them ready for the garbage! My daughter has a Savers near her, and she bought me a bra there (new with tags!).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I do find some new in package from time to time at the thrift shops too.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, this is a good thread!

I use rainwater for laundry/gardens/chickens...recycle the washwater/rinsewater 3x each during the summer. Then use the washwater to hose out the poo from the chicken tractor.

Making my own laundry soap.

Cook from scratch ...mostly.

Only go to town (which is 10 miles away), once a week or less.

Have only 2 bills.....a medical bill and AFLAC.

We have no furnace....so, not all of the house is heated.

Reduce/reuse/recycle. I go to thrift stores, shop online, use email not snail mail, cut my own hair, learning to make my own soaps,

Buy in bulk, things like beef, etc.......half a steer.

Drive a 5 speed.

Make and use compost.

Recycle greywater.

Turn off all "always on" appliances.

Have no cable/satellite....basic internet.

Don't spend-spend-spend... No sending cards, buying for holidays or birthdays or anniversaries.

Free checking accts.

Use leftovers..daily if possible.

Growing veggies in the garden now.....this is our 2nd winter...this summer was our first summer garden.

More later, if I can remember them.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great tips! Some new to me, many I already use, so no need to repost.

Only thing I can think of at the moment: Shampoo. I don't make my own, I buy concentrate. I am licensed, and have a beauty supply store near me so, when their gallon sized concentrate goes on sale for 3.99, I pick up some. I would guess an item like that wouldn't be restricted to the public. It can be diluted up to 8:1. I can't make, homemade, 9 gallons of shampoo for under $4. I keep an old regular sized shampoo bottle to mix/use it.

I can't count :p