What do you do with chicken feathers?

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't plucked a chicken or a duck yet but when I do what do I do with the feathers? Seems like there's got to be a good use for all them feathers.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If you have clay soil they are AWESOME for soil ammendment! They build structure to the soil allowing small pockets for aeration to get through.

Also,

fly tying, pillows, crafts, etc.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH ties flys and collects some feathers from the yard. I figure that will account for about a dozen feathers :lol: No we don't have any clay....thanks goodness!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Compost pile it is! This might sound silly but can I compost orange peels and banana peels. I don't put them into my compost as of now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My folks got pillows on their wedding day over 50 years ago from my Memere, made on her sewing machine with feathers saved from her flock. Her house was filled with such pillows. I want one! You can still buy ticking from Joann's, believe it or not!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My folks got pillows on their wedding day over 50 years ago from my Memere, made on her sewing machine with feathers saved from her flock. Her house was filled with such pillows. I want one! You can still buy ticking from Joann's, believe it or not!
Yup, you can. I made DrakeMaiden's baby a toddler pillow with some (stuffed with wool).

I grew up sleeping on an antique feather mattress! I didn't think about that...actually I assumed the feathers were from ducks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooo, yes, I want to make some wool pillows, too. Any considerations? I got three zippered washing bags for the wool and plan on starting that project next week.