What do you do with toddlers?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I try to work with my son (he's 4) but my 2 yr old daughter is constantly interrupting or trying to fight for my attention. I want to involve her too but she is one of those children that won't sit still for more than 5 minutes. :lol: It is hard to even read a book to her. I am trying to teach my son some basic stuff involving reading and writing (no real curriculum). We have some little workbooks that he loves to do but DD just won't leave him/us alone and then he gets frustrated and doesn't want to do it anymore. I'm hoping this will get better as I am able to involve her later on but what do you all do with your toddlers?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Set up some "self contained" lessons for him to begin with like a few letter shapes ex. a, c, t that look very different and sound different. Then put some little objects or photos of say a cat, apple, and telephone atleast 4 of each that start with those letter sounds. Show him the lesson first and then let him work on it independently have him let you look at it "check it" and see if he needs help sorting the objects into the letter group. While he is independently working on his "lessons" (you can make a bunch of different ones) then you can work with your two year old.

For two year olds and even 4 year olds lessons like sponging off their table with a damp sponge can lengthen their consentration levels and help them become more independent.

I am a Montessori teacher and taught "Montessori in the Home" classes to parents every summer. If you like this approach, I have tons of info and I love to share.

Good luck to you!

Great book out there called "Work Jobs" that can help you make lessons that your child can do independently with very little interfearance from adults. These are lessons in math and reading etc. You model the lesson first and they can use it from then on by themselves. Your job would be to check it after they are done and observe any mistakes to go over the next time he/she takes the lesson out again.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"What do you do with toddlers?"

Send them back home to their parents. :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I love teaching toddlers! They find wonderment in the most basic things. Like sweeping, dusting, watering plants, untieing their shoes (over and over :barnie !!!). These are some things that help them become independent (the life goal of being a toddler) and also helps with coordination, and consentration.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am just a Mom but I always found it useful to entertain the little one with coloring or play dough. While working at the same table with the older child. This way they feel included and just as important.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't have any idea how my kids compare to others', but my just-turned-2 yr old will happily play by himself *at times*, and so my not-quite-5-yr-old seizes on those times as good occasions to come do stuff with Mommy, like writing stories and stuff. There is no real way to *make* the 2 yr old decide he's in a mood to play on his own but we take advantage of whenever it happens.

And he does some things on his own -- I got him a thrift-store handwriting practice book, missing pages A thru E but oh well :p, and he has really enjoyed tracing the dotted lines for the letters and then copying them and then copying words that contain them, on the lines printed in the book. Things like that.

But MOST of the his learning has not come from sitting down and Doing Exercises or Being Taught... most of it is just from, you know, life. From conversation when we're going somewhere or I'm doing something around the home (he'll ask what a sign says and I'll help him sound it out, or we used to play 'what begins with <particular letter of the alphabet>, or he will be writing something and ask me for occasional spelling assistance while I'm cooking, or that sort of thing) and from working through everyday situations with me as they arise (sorting books according to author's name; measuring wood to build a brooder; reading a book on whatever he's interested in that day; etc).

Just, you know, talking about things as life goes along, finding opportunities to *apply* the things that he should be (or is just interested in) learning, and learning them that way.That sort of thing does not require intensive prolonged one-on-one, so if his younger brother is hanging around wanting to be paid attention to, it is easy to do both things at once.

He reads pretty fluently, and writes happily albeit with beginnery attempts at spelling, and can count well and do simple basic addition and subtraction and measurement and things, so it does seem to be WORKING for us.

Pat

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*Disclaimer* I have no kids!

Anyway, I just love that some parents still teach and work with their kids! I see so many sad ignored kids with their parents at my work. Like the tiny adorable girl who pointed at some star buttons and said "star, star!!" until her mom snapped "look, I don't have TIME for this!" at her. :somad The attentive parents are such a relief! The one's who have ansy toddlers and try to keep them occupied (instead of ignoring them while talking on their cell phone) by counting, or naming colors in the fabric, or animals.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You can start them both on ASL. The dvds made by this company are family friendly and terrific for all ages, infant and up. It was amazing to me how many times our grands would ask mom to put a dvd in so they could "play" with Alex and Leah. And maybe your daughter would be interested enough to give her brother some space.

http://www.signingtime.com/

edited for spelling

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I am just a Mom but I always found it useful to entertain the little one with coloring or play dough. While working at the same table with the older child. This way they feel included and just as important.
What do you mean "just a mom" that is an important job, if not the most important!!

Your idea is perfect too, play dough (and bubbles) are a toddler mom's best friend!

I loved patandchickens ideas too. Kids have lots to learn and do around the homestead. :thumbsup