What do YOU do?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
eat lots of rice;)
try to eat simply- rice , miso soup, cucumber and tomato salad, meat portion 2-3 times per day
try and buy/get veg. from locals
eat lots of chicken
grow and eat as much veg as possible
get venison from neighbors/friends
grow potatoes
grow herbs

take the scooter to work/town whenever possible
drive slower if poss.

use 99%CFL's
power strips
wood heat only
ceiling fans/jump in the river:p
line dry clothes
'tighten up' the air leaks in the house with cheap silicone caulk

turn the water pressure down under the sinks
toilets have 2 flush settings, hi and low
use the bathwater for the wash cycle in winter
'carribbean' showers in summer : wet, soap, rinse
rechargeable electric shaver and disposable razor for the tough spots, lasts for weeks

Hey Tutter, what kind of hydro system do you have?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Can't add anything that you guys have already mentioned I don't think.
I am not afraid to buy used clothing rather than new. Not sure if I saw that one. Anyway, got some new ideas to try here.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have some jeans that have worn out, blue and black, and I am saving them and slowly cutting them into quilt squares to sew into a warm quilt for our bed.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
at my house this a battle every day. My wife seems to despise the idea of doing without some things although i have had small victories like no cable tv or sat. dish, cut back on A/C which is difficult when the humidity is 80-90% in Alabama, gardening and canning, have rain barrels for the plants have chickens for eggs and occasionally supper, use wood burning stove for heat and cook over open fire outside when its possible. She thinks I'm, as she says "trying to go back in time" :barnie which is not my goal at all. I want my kids to know how to make it and be able to depend on each other and not big brother. all of you that believe and pray, please keep us im mind cause ill keep pushing and will probably end up in the barn or ill end up with a cast iron implant. :lol:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We use a woodburner.
Put a timer on our hot water heater.
Made my own tissues from receiving blankets that people gave me or that I got at Goodwill...I also made some wipes out of the pink ones for the coming baby.
I made my own napkins out of an old plaid dress.
I only buy shoes when I have to for the boys....the rest of their clothes I depend on blessings for. I make all of DD's clothes. I got a bunch of maternity clothes off of ebay and then I got some shirts at Goodwill's half price day. Usually get DH's clothes at rummage sales...he is a very easily found man's size.
We make our own laundry detergent.
We have our own chickens...for eggs and we put 51 in the freezer this year.
We can and freeze what we can.
I can up soup for my husband's lunch so that he has homemade and he does not have to buy lunch while at work.
Hang our clothes out on the line when we can.
No dishwasher.
I know we do other stuff but I can't think of it right now.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All my wash water goes into a grey water tank and is re-used on the garden.

We use the enviro friendly lights - I can't remember what you call them.

We compost.

Have chooks for eggs and manure.

Grow some vegies and fruit.

We recycle.

Have a worm farm.

Lots of water tanks.

I try to re-use clothes but with 3 sons, it's tricky they are sooo dirty!

With the loo if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it now!

Umm, I ride every where and walk a lot too.

I cook everything from scrath and bake tons for the boys lunches.

We havd weed everything no poisons/chemicals are used in the home or outside.

I breastfeed!

We use wood for heating.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the simple life said:
We had all of the walls and windows in the entire house ripped out and replaced but had new insulation, electrical and plumbing put in there first.
We installed a new energy saving heating system and water boiler. So our plumbing and heating throughout the house is as efficent as we can get here and the new insulation and the new windows mean less heat escapes too.
Of course we recycle everything.
I did the EXACT same thing in our house, a 1930's farm house, after removing all lathe and plaster I found the insulation was shredded newspaper and was all laying, covering only about 12 inches at the bottom! THe old timers around here said shredded newspaper was the norm back than. No wonder the heating bill was terrible before! We added new windows and doors, siding and
a 96% effecient heating/cooling system. Also a new basement since the old foundation was shot. It is one of those styrofoam type basements developed in Canada.

River Runner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We replaced all the windows, added insulation, and put on a new roof, steel rather then shingles (heavy snow area). We also added a covered deck on the front of the house (screened in for summer, mosquitoes as big as bats here lol) and now are turning part of it into a dining room with a wood kitchen cook stove. We also put new siding on, log cabin style made out of wood.

We heat with wood only (furnace), do not use or have a dryer, do not have a dishwasher, grow most of our own vegetables and are currently looking at a combination solar/wind/hydro electrical system. We use the energy efficent lights, turn them off when we leave the room, and I know there is more but can not think of it.

We are looking at getting some chickens, goats, and if I can get a bit more land, a beef cow or two.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would like to get or make a solar oven to use for the main part of my meals. I have researched online a bit however still up in the air on how they work,recipes, pros and cons etc.. Does anyone have experience with solar ovens? Are they reliable,worth it ,inexpensive to buy or difficulty building one? I live on The Big Island here in Hawaii and we get alot of rain as it is tropical but alot of sun as well. Rain averages over 100 inches a year.Average temps for day mid 80's nights mid 60's. We do not have heat nor ac.We have supplies in Home Depot etc yet alot has to be barged over from mainland which is very expensive and takes weeks to float here..........All input is appreciated!I am not handy putting things together and husband is very busy at work usually. Ilove to cook. Recipes have to be meatless .My grocery budget is strict , prices high here due to distance from suppliers. I havestarted a garden ,still working around 99.9 percent lava covered ground. All in good time. Island time....lol