What do you feed your baby ducklings?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We are getting babies soon, what do you feed them? I've heard good/bad things about chicken feed so if I can't find duck food what do I feed them? Thanks!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used the Purina flock raiser and also put some grass (and frozen peas and beans) into the brooder. They seemed to grow very well.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had been told not to feed them Medicated starter.
I have used laying mash/crumbles and get them non medicated and my ducklings have always done well. After they are 12 weeks old I also add some poultry grains to the crumbles.
My last year ducklings have been laying eggs since Christmas and now 1 is sitting on her nest and her eggs are due to hatch in the next 5 days or so :weee

I hope you have good luck with your babies and I know you will enjoy them :love

:frow Karan :D :D :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If the medication in the feed in Ampro ONLY, it's fine for ducks. The old meds they used to put in feed would kill ducks.

I use game bird starter for my goobers.

If you end up using chicken feed, you need to give them some extra niacin.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If the medication in the feed in Ampro ONLY, it's fine for ducks. The old meds they used to put in feed would kill ducks.

I use game bird starter for my goobers.

If you end up using chicken feed, you need to give them some extra niacin.
Good to know.

Wifezilla,
I am getting a pair of Rouins from a very dear friend this week and they are nearing adulthood, what do you feed them? Thought you could include it here in this thread that loriadams started...as kind of an extension to her orignal question. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I feed flock raiser to mine, no matter their age, and they get grass clippings and occassionly a little bit of scratch grains. Lots of bugs, too. lol

Mine seem to love flies!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use game bird feed, but let the free range during the day and give them veggie scraps from the kitchen and garden cuttings.