What do you forage?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've found few edible wilds here but, turkey tail just last weekšŸ‘ oh, I love a pan of sauted mushrooms. I buy them šŸ¤£
I remember back in the 70s when locally there was a bunch of wild mushroom poisoning cases. My dad was teaching me to forage and then mom put her foot down and refused to use any wild mushrooms. Took me 10 years to get over the fear of mushrooms. No such issue now!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I foraged morels and shaggy manes when I was in high school. There was a fairly unknown spot on school property down by the river. Simple as asking at the office if I could go pick and coordinating with the science teacher so we didn't interfere with each other. Tons of forageable foods there.

The high school and middle school sit on a large acreage so there is a conservation riparian area as well as the site of an old abandoned train stop. The Madame who willed the land to the school in the late 1800s was wealthy and very much pushed education. She taught her girls and forced them to save half their money so they could get enough to get out of the business. The middle school is named after her but they do not advertise what she did as a job.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a pretty easy mushroom to hunt and identify is the morel, out west i think you have more of the darker ones that show up.

you can also get them to grow on your own property if the conditions are favorable. when you go out and hunt some when you pick them when you rinse them off before cooking keep the rinse water and spread it around your property. within a few years you should see some results.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have white and brown ones. I've picked both. But I've picked on both sides of the Cascades and in the Blue Mountains.

I think false morels are easy to identify, but was taught all the poisonous look-alikes we have pretty young.

Biggest danger mushroom hunting is the commercial mushroom hunters. They will shoot anyone they think is mushroom hunting. Dad usually went along as a watch for them and cougars while we picked.