What do you forage?

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive got a long list of sorts . Mullien for lungs, dandelion and chickory there's quite a few uses, pineapple plant its similar to chamomile and is prolific here, cattail, elderberry, passion fruit clover both red and white, willow, sumac, mulberry, henbit, henbane, slippery elm, persimmons, white pine, sheep sorrel, nettle, milk thistle. Theres more that i cant think of at the moment.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@whysprs do you collect these items? Do you use/process them and I what form? How are the results from use -- i.e do the preps work?

@Hinotori ... I know you forage, process, use. What do you feel is most successful as to results of relief for the purpose targeted.

I've always been interested in herbalism, natural treatments. This year, having so many of the better known growing here, I'm going to process some infused oils, salves. But looking for input from those already experienced with best working for purpose. Limit my attempts. Suggestions, opinions? Appreciate you! ;)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A!@whysprs do you collect these items? Do you use/process them and I what form? How are the results from use -- i.e do the preps work?

@Hinotori ... I know you forage, process, use. What do you feel is most successful as to results of relief for the purpose targeted.

I've always been interested in herbalism, natural treatments. This year, having so many of the better known growing here, I'm going to process some infused oils, salves. But looking for input from those already experienced with best working for purpose. Limit my attempts. Suggestions, opinions? Appreciate you! ;)

Cottonwood buds get the most use here. I've been sending about a pound (wet) of it to Moms friend each spring as well as picking for my own purpose. Dehydrating on parchment did wonders this year before sending.

Nettles have some use as tea but I just eat them.

Most of the stuff I forage is food

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@whysprs do you collect these items? Do you use/process them and I what form? How are the results from use -- i.e do the preps work?

Yes the majority we harvest and prepare ourselves, when we cant find them we have ordered them via mountain rose herbs. Majority of thiers is wild harvested.currently we have mullien and yarrow that i planted last year from wild seed. I havnt done salves as of yet, I usually just go ahead and use it as an infused oil for topical usage. Did my first tinctures last year with horehound, mullien, california poppy, amd cant remember the other. I should have used a lower alcahol though because taking a few ampules of these is like doing a shot lol but it was a learning experiance. We normally use teas more than anything else, it seems to work a lot faster than using anything else other than if you have an infection or something in a cut, then the oil works real well. That would be with plantain that I do that. Cured up a burn that turning gange green one with it as well as saved my finger when I shot a nail through it when building our tiny house, bounced off a knot in the 2x4 and came out the side.. wont do that again for sure.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
few ampules of these is like doing a shot lol but
:lol:. That's true pain relief!

I appreciate the info. I'm going to use a comfrey, plantain, maybe dandelion mix. My blessing is I rarely have pain, beyond occasional sore muscles. But a friend with RA is volunteering to test. 🤣. So, oils or salve for her...salve is a little neater. She hurts "all the time". That'll give me feedback between us. This will be my first salve making but I've used poultices before, yrs back. Have made infused oils. Lotta goat milk soap, too. 👍😁

@Hinotori do you have broadleaf plantain there? I've heard it's good lightly sauted. I'll try it one day 😄. I know people who eat dandelion leaf in salads. Goats eat most of mine.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol:. That's true pain relief!

I appreciate the info. I'm going to use a comfrey, plantain, maybe dandelion mix. My blessing is I rarely have pain, beyond occasional sore muscles. But a friend with RA is volunteering to test. 🤣. So, oils or salve for her...salve is a little neater. She hurts "all the time". That'll give me feedback between us. This will be my first salve making but I've used poultices before, yrs back. Have made infused oils. Lotta goat milk soap, too. 👍😁

@Hinotori do you have broadleaf plantain there? I've heard it's good lightly sauted. I'll try it one day 😄. I know people who eat dandelion leaf in salads. Goats eat most of mine.

Broad and narrow plantain. Tons of it. It also gets really big in some spots. We have the perfect environment for it. I feel it's a little tough to eat. I dried a bunch for the burn salve I'm going to make. You can chew it and use as a sting paste if you're out and about and get stung or run into nettles.

Bracken fern is supposed to make a good tea to pour over nettle stings as well. Vinegar is your best friend if you have a lot, say from the knee down on both legs because you accidentally walked 20 feet or so through a patch in sandals.

Young dandelion leaf is good but my chickens eat it to the root.

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Broad and narrow plantain. Tons of it. It also gets really big in some spots. We have the perfect environment for it. I feel it's a little tough to eat. I dried a bunch for the burn salve I'm going to make. You can chew it and use as a sting paste if you're out and about and get stung or run into nettles.

Bracken fern is supposed to make a good tea to pour over nettle stings as well. Vinegar is your best friend if you have a lot, say from the knee down on both legs because you accidentally walked 20 feet or so through a patch in sandals.

Young dandelion leaf is good but my chickens eat it to the root.
We always just hit cold water, rather being a creek or the hose to stop the burn from nettle. As for plantain, its decent as a green in salads. We have mixed dandelions and plantains as a salad with a oil and vinegar dressing many times in the past. Dandelion jelly was pretty good too.