What do you guys think of soap nuts?

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had never heard of them prior to this post. But that being said, I'm going to try my first time making my own laundry detergent, so really wouldn't have a need ... but was an interesting read!!! Ya learn something new every day and since apparently I'm not learning the microbiology at least now I know what a soap nut is! :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lehman's sells them as well. I have thought about buying them but never did.

I would love to hear from someone who has.

G

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use them, they last a long time so I have not bought any for a while but the brand I have is Maggie's (I bought on Amazon) but I have heard that the Naturoli brand is a better soapnut so I will order them next time. I steep mine is warm water to make a tea and use them for delicates. They are great for sensitive skin. They are a bit more work soaking them but I found it necessary because we have hard water. Hope that helps! I bet they would be great to sell sample inside the small washbag you use with them for your store and they are considered a "green" product :D Off to check your link and compare price to what I paid....
Neko, I think they are pretty cheap considering how long they last IMHO.

Also check out ebay prices for them!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just another foreign product gimmick. How does that put Americans back to work?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It may not be an American made product but Big Brown horse is opening up a little shop to sell her wares and this would be making money, probably doubling or even tripling her profit over what it would cost her to put them together in sachets to sell locally. I think that would qualify as helping out a fellow American getting back to work.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had just bought an order of Soapnuts on ebay...and have used them in about 10 loads of laundry so far. They seem to work fine, but only for something like a daily soil...not the really heave greasy work clothes, or to makes socks look clean again. I have been keeping count of my uses per nuts, on the bag. They don't suds, but that is fine ..as long as it cleans. I went to soap nuts because our need to save and re-use rainwater......I use the soapnuts wash water to hose out the chicken tractor. It takes 20 gallons to do that...and we are trying to save the well water for drinking. The soapnuts are environmentally friendly, and I can use it on the chickens. Or water the gardens.
As far as the other cleaning jobs...I make a bucket of hot soak for the socks, and use the bleach. The greasy work clothes, I do the same, with washing soda. Then, let them agitate and finish in the machine.

Latest posts