What do you guys think of this buckling?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/2601200495.html

I am looking to buy a mini nubian buckling, and this one is extremely close to me, like almost in my neighborhood. I have an appointment to look at another one on Sunday, but I like this one and it is about an HOUR and a HALF less of a drive.

I am of course asking her about tests that have been done, she actually responded to MY ad and contacted me that she put this guy online. I had such trouble finding a mini nubian last year that I placed an ad for a buckling.

I'm trying to pull a freemotion and buy a little buckling to sell later on.

What do you guys think of him? I find him adorable.

The other one isn't nearly as cute (airplane ears) but is from "known milking lines" and has papers and is negative, 50 dollars more, but would also mean hours and hours of driving round trip for us to get, while this guy lives just down the hill from us. So I'd love to hear what y'all think of his picture.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
He sure is a bargain! I'd go with a vehicle and cash to pick him up, but would closely inspect the other goats on the farm, especially his mother and any other female relatives. Look at her udder and her personality. Personality and attitude can skip a generation.....I only know this because I went to look at Peach's grandmother originally, bought the baby (Ginger, Peach's mother) instead, and clearly see the grandmother in Peach. I didn't get the grandmother because she was vicious and unfair with her horns, not warning first, just jabbing. (See Plum's brush with death in my 2011 goat journal!)

If you are just wanting milk and don't care about future doelings, you only need working parts in your buck. However, the better the buck, the more you can ask for your doelings. Good milking lines are important, ears are not. Unless you have a good pet market in your area, then looks are most important.

ETA: Pull a freemotion..... :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I second what Free said...go check him out and if the farm seems clean and the other goats look healthy, then you can decide on the spot. That's pretty much what I did - when we got there the people were so nice and wanted to chat about them and told me all about what care the goats had. I knew they weren't trying to hide anything and they just wanted to find him a home.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The seller says that the does have been recently tested for CL, CAE and brucellosis. I DO get to go inspect, they are actually almost a neighbor, we pass their house on our road out to town. I'd actually love to find a goat person with mini nubians this close, I didn't realize anyone else had them this close except the person we bought our does from. She said they are keeping his sister, and need to sell him as he is too closely related to everyone at their place.

Should an eight month old be able to breed already, Free? I'm thinking so......

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
he should be ready, willing, and able :D and if they are that close, then you could have some potential goat friends :thumbsup

Mine is cracking me up with his heat detecting skills. every morning he walks out of the stall, sniffs the air around each hind end and does that funny lip curling thing to see if anybody is sending out signals. It's just funny!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
She describes him as "friendly" but what else would you say in an advertisement? He is mean and ornery? :D I like that he is young but not too young, I hope to put him with Molly first and she doesn't like pushy strangers, she will head-butt him for a week or so I think. :lol: Hopefully he can work his way around to the other end.

I can't wait for it to be evening now so that I can go look at him! His name is Cody.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Eight months is PLENTY old enough, he'll know exactly what to do and which end to do it to... :p

My current buck is very friendly but nevertheless, I can't go into his pen unarmed (stout stick and never turn my back, even for a second....I may graduate to a metal pipe if this continues!) and he is to be sold this winter. On the other hand, my first buck is now around 3 and is still safe around children.

Friendly is not important right now.....a p***s and t***icles are important right now. :D

Hey, listen to this...I just found out that my first buck got a total of five does pregnant in his career thus far, and each of the five gave birth to a single doeling! My current buck got four does pregnant so far, and there was one singleton, a set of twins, and two sets of triplets. "They" say it is not the buck, but I'm starting to wonder!

Go get 'im! Let Molly teach him some manners if he needs them.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It isn't evening for me yet.....I'm on the west coast Free. I'm still waiting to go.

I do hope he is the right one. I'd like to put my one doe with him this month in order to follow my farm plan I wrote for myself. I'm thinking I would let them all meet first however since I know none of my girls is in heat, but I'll bed them down in the different pens after they get acquainted (if I bring him home of course). I've talked further with the seller however and it sounds great.