What do you know about Missouri?

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We saw some waay affordable land in Missouri and I do believe had we not just contracted on our land here we would be on the Oregon trail by now, LOL. Still, in keeping our options open we are reading up about MO for near future reference (depending upon how some things turn out here). Are there any Missourians here? Do any of you know about rural living, living off grid (we read one county is zone-free and that's exactly what we want) there?

Just thought I'd inquire because there is such a diversity of people and cultures here.

Thanks all.

Lyric

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a Missourian...born and raised in Kansas City though. Both of my parents are from the Ozarks side..and I spent many years down there. Not familiar with the rest of the state though. Anything above I-70..or the bootheel.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a horrible place don't go there!!!!!!!!! ;)

Just kidding. I would go tomorrow if I could. I have only seen parts of the state but it is just beautiful. I have an aunt just east of Springfield in the Ozark hills. She lives near many Amish and a small little town.

My hopes is that sometime in the next year or so to move there. I think with the weather, woods, and water it is a good place to be SS.

FarmFresh is in Mo.

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Lived here my whole life. Also sold Real Estate a long time ago. What do you need to know?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do you mean by "zone free" and what county are you talking about?

Missouri can be diverse. What region are you interested in?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:

I believe she is talking about zoning laws. Most of Missouri is "zoned" agricultural, commercial, residential, high density residential ..... etc. Usually land zoned agricultural, IF it is not within CITY limits ... has very few restrictions. BUT ... be sure and check that out!! I know of property in a very underpopulated part of the state that actually has zoning that prevents rabbits or chickens!! The problem there is a crazy home association that is far reaching.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Woodland Woman said:

I believe she is talking about zoning laws. Most of Missouri is "zoned" agricultural, commercial, residential, high density residential ..... etc. Usually land zoned agricultural, IF it is not within CITY limits ... has very few restrictions. BUT ... be sure and check that out!! I know of property in a very underpopulated part of the state that actually has zoning that prevents rabbits or chickens!! The problem there is a crazy home association that is far reaching.
Those homeowner associations, aka subdivisions that look nothing like a subdivisions, or something in the deed that specifies not having certain animals are surprisingly all over the place.
It makes it difficult to find a good property around here.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Same deal here. :/

That is why I would always recommend getting a copy of all restrictions from the county planners, a copy of the geological survey, do some soil and water inspections AND have a good chat with many of the neighbors BEFORE buying a place. It is a buyers market. Take that extra time. Do research. Find a place that you like and then RENT for a year or two. ;)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know a few things about Missouri. If it wasn't for te Missouri compromise Maine wouldn't be a state. THANK YOU MISSOURI!! Thank god I'm not a Masshole!! :) No offence to my Mass friends. Who all know I lova but I would hate to live in a non free state. Anyway I also know that Missouri is tank country. :) I also know that Ft Leonard Wood sucks for basic traiing. :) Other than that I know there baseball team won the World Series back in O 1985!! :) That was a good team too. Hope this helps. I'm sure it won't, but not a state I would like to be in when the SHTF. Don from Free State of Maine surrounded by water