What do you use for deworming

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just giving an update on the hens and they are all doing well and wanted to give a shout out for all the good advice I have received, thank you.
I don't remember who it was or what conversation that was started about hay verse straw to lay on the ground, I believe they were using it around the chicken coup but anyway if this was your input or if you have any thoughts how thick a layer you should use I would be most thankful.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never really used a chemical dewormer for chickens, so can't help you much with that. Were you interested in prevention, cures, natural vs. chemical, etc?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have no plans on ever having chickens here. it is just way too intense a raccoon and other bird eater haven. i kinda doubt i'd be able to have quail. this is if i stay here longer term. if i end up moving i hope to be to a site which is much less a wild life corridor.

i've trapped instensively at times here and i could trap a raccoon every evening for weeks at a time and still set up the trap in the morning and have a groundhog by dusk. eventually i just stopped as it wasn't accomplishing anything at all other than wasting gas and time i could have been doing something more useful.

the very last raccoon we transported we'd just let go, got in the car and were driving away and it ran out in front of us and i couldn't avoid hitting it. talk about a bad day for that one... that was it. no more since then.

i put the trap out this past early summer trying to get some groundhog youngsters to go in but i ended up hunting them and instead caught a large orange tabby kitty who was not happy with that experience any more than i was.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the coop? In the run? I never use straw b/c it is close to $10.00/bale now. Hay, even mulch hay is around $3.50. I use hay when I run out of leaves. Every fall, I drive to a neighboring town that has a fall leaf pick up. I can usually pick up about 45 bags of leaves packed in paper recycle bags in 2 trips with the truck.

What ever kind of bedding you use, use how ever much it takes to get the job done. My goal is to have a good layer of deep composting litter built up in the chicken run. It took me 3 years to meet that goal! But, finally, I can say that the entire area is covered with a good layer of black compost.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
100% right! Chickens don’t taste the heat but their intestinal worms sure do. It doesn’t kill worms, but the shock of the hot pepper makes them turn loose and pass out in droppings. I usually scramble some eggs for them, Shell and all. Like Bee said, I don’t bother with worming but if I just need to feel better about it, I use hot pepper.

will chickens eat raw garlic?