What do you use for short-term kitchen storage?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use old glass fruit juice bottles, in my cookbook bookcase in the kitchen. There are two rows of jars. That way I can easily see what I have on hand as far as rice, beans, lentils, wheat, etc... I love my jars!!

2272012BeanJarsemail.jpg

I should have centered the paper towels!! oh well...

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
moxies_chickennuggets said:
I have 2 vintage breadboxes, canisters, a wire basket, and the cake platter I set the coffee fixins on. Then, the other "daily's" go into the cupboards immediatly accessible. Long term storage cupboards are harder to get to. So, I put the other things in there. It's working out pretty good I think. All that really needs to be done now is to remove the old built-in wall oven. We don't need it, and I sure could use that spot for storage.
I took the control knobs for the heating element off my wall oven, got spare oven racks from an appliance dealer and use it for storage. built in light is very handy when looking for something and who can't make use of a built in timer that you can't misplace?Now that I think of it the appliance dealer should be called an appliance repair/recycle Shop. He has no factory new stuff at all. What he does have is connections with a bunch of kicthen remodlers, comtractors and appliance delivery men. You want a fancy gas range in your new house that has a electric range? this guy often ends up with the electric range. Some minor repair and a good clean up and it replaces a dead or battered range in a home that can't afford brand new. I got my washer and drier from him $100 each!
That wall oven is going to come out and end up in a Habitat ReStore. I have the free standing glass top stove/oven we got when we moved in the place. It is fine enough for me. I have no need for a poorly working vintage wall oven.
All of our major appliances, we check the dent sections of HD and Lowes. I don't pay retail ever.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
I have 2 vintage breadboxes, canisters, a wire basket, and the cake platter I set the coffee fixins on. Then, the other "daily's" go into the cupboards immediatly accessible. Long term storage cupboards are harder to get to. So, I put the other things in there. It's working out pretty good I think. All that really needs to be done now is to remove the old built-in wall oven. We don't need it, and I sure could use that spot for storage.
I took the control knobs for the heating element off my wall oven, got spare oven racks from an appliance dealer and use it for storage. built in light is very handy when looking for something and who can't make use of a built in timer that you can't misplace?Now that I think of it the appliance dealer should be called an appliance repair/recycle Shop. He has no factory new stuff at all. What he does have is connections with a bunch of kicthen remodlers, comtractors and appliance delivery men. You want a fancy gas range in your new house that has a electric range? this guy often ends up with the electric range. Some minor repair and a good clean up and it replaces a dead or battered range in a home that can't afford brand new. I got my washer and drier from him $100 each!
That wall oven is going to come out and end up in a Habitat ReStore. I have the free standing glass top stove/oven we got when we moved in the place. It is fine enough for me. I have no need for a poorly working vintage wall oven.
All of our major appliances, we check the dent sections of HD and Lowes. I don't pay retail ever.
Well Habitat ReStore is good too! one of my bathrooms was designed for kids, low sinks comode and all. The floor needed to be redone and the handyman suggested a trade with the ReStore He took the short stuff out carefully and came back with Period adult fixtures. Solid Wood with plastic tops [A little stone tile work took care of that] a seat that was high enough that I didn need a helper bar to get up from and a sink that I didn't have to bend over to use. I was very happy with the result and the wall oven will probably end up there when I figure out a good way to replace the storage space.~gd

rubyluise

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use all the storage container from IKEA. I would like to say that for different purpose I can use different kind of jars. Like to store peas, beans and any vegetables I use plastic container and For keeping food and any other stuff like yogurt,cream and milk I use glass container. You can get plenty of varieties to storage so many kitchen storage and keep your food safe. Make sure that about the brand that may not prevent any infection while keeping the food.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Usually, it depends on what's being stored. We have a lot of bulk stuff and there's a five gallon bucket of whatever it stashed outside of the kitchen area. In the kitchen area it is usually a gallon jar if it is something we use a lot of or a half gallon if it is something we use less of. Those jars pretty much are there all the time and get refilled from the buckets.

The jars are an assortment from old pickle jars, peanut butter jars, nifty glass lid with wire hinge type found at yard sales to canning jars. Sometimes we buy stuff just to get the jar it comes in. Some of the pretty jars are on the counter top, the more utilitarian ones live under the counters.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I LOVE the milk jug idea. Space saving and it looks really good! I have about nine of them, but unfortunately, none of the plastic lids. I guess I'll have to take them back and get more milk just for the lids, lol.

Athene

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Everything in my house is in a jar. Well, almost. I keep some produce in wire hanging baskets, and the obvious stuff in the fridge/freezer. I use one piece mason jar caps for stuff I get at frequently. I also have a lot of stuff in gallon glass pickle jars. Stuff that I'm keeping longer term I use the two piece ring and lid, and I vacuum seal the lid. Our basement cool pantry, every thing is either in a sealed can (home or storebought) or a gamma seal bucket.

I have a pretty small amount of money in this stuff. The vacuum sealer was a gift; the jar attachment was a Swagbucks freebie; most the mason jars and all the rings came from my MIL, though we've bought some specifically for storage (2 flats of half gallons and a few flats of wide mouth half pints); the gallon glass jars were all snagged from the trash at work by DH, same for food grade plastic pails; I spent $75 on gamma seal lids a few years ago; our cool pantry came with one set of shelves, another was trashpicked, the third was a handmedown, we finally spent $30 on the fourth; my dad made some more shelves for our kitchen which cost $30 but our upper pantry came complete; we've had to buy regular and Tattler canning lids and one piece caps (maybe $50 so far?). So we have spent somewhere under $300 over seven years to have a LOT of food storage that works for both short and long term.