What do you WANT to learn to do?

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to:
1. Learn to quilt and sew
2. Learn how to care for milk goats and learn how to make cheese, yogurt, ect. from the goat milk
3. Learn how to be a better gardener + how to grow more things

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd love to learn how to spin and weave. I'd also like to increase my skills at canning...particularly canning meat.

gypsybum48

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I would love to learn how to be totally self sufficient living in the suburbs...
I know that is only possible to a small degree but I would like to learn to live in a manner where I do not have depend on modern conveniences if something should happen and those conveniences are shut down.

buckie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i would love to learn carpentry skills.i am a 60 year old female.husband gets so irratated at me when i ask him to do repairs on my coop and run.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Mickey328...just learned to can hamburger meat...came out really GOOD...first time canner ..completely cooked and seasoned meat (16 lbs) in electric roaster.... next batch will make a rice dressing mix (cajun here) using dry roux..(no oil to go rancid).. I have enjoyed a pint of this meat that was canned in '99 -was delicious, tasted like it was cooked that day...this is why I have decided to cann MUCH of this meat, freezer full...cannot eat it all before freezer burned of loss of POWER...can happen you know....was so AFRAID of using a canner (bad experience with a member of my family when I was young) am NO LONGER afraid, they are safer now than many, many years ago...so I want to ENCOURAGE all to give canning a try...G

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Grandma used a pressure cooker quite a lot, so I was only moderately afraid, LOL The new ones are a lot easier to operate, too. I got the big pressure canner to can chili and it came out really good. I've never canned just meat before, but will before the week is out. Stopped at the market for lids yesterday (they were out) but danged if they didn't have a really good sale on beef and chicken! So, tomorrow is prep day for all that. I plan to can some of the beef in chunks, some in strips and will grind and cook a fair bit of it as well. The chickens will be de-boned and canned in as whole of pieces as I can get 'em. I'm excited! Freezer space always seems to be at a premium here, so anything I can preserve but keep out of the freezer is a good thing.