What does being self sufficient mean to you?

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are many levels / degrees of self sufficiency.

What does being self sufficient mean to you?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hunting.
Raising and slaughtering my own livestock.
Making my own food.
Making my own clothing.
Learning skills and connecting with my community in ways that we are prepared if TSHTF.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dito to what neko said.

I have to admit tho, that no matter how SS am I gonna get in the upcoming time. I will always need my tea fix up, sorry to say it, but I am a teine addict. So unless polish climate, or a greenhouse is going to allow me to produce my 2 pounds of tea. I will need some degree of outside resources.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
What Neko said is a perfect definition to me! However, I have a long road to get there! At this time in my life I will be happy when I don't have to run to a grocery store every few days for milk and eggs. I know we are headed in the right direction knowledge wise and we are in the right area finally but it is the journey that we are just embarking on that is the big step. Self sufficiency is a definite journey to me!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
To me it means the process of going from saying "I'll be back in a few minutes, I have to run to the store" to walking to the freezer and getting dinner. It means figuring out ways to break myself of the use/throw away lifestyle that seems to be the "in" thing. It means going through the mountains of clothes and just "stuff" that I have, looking to see what I really "NEED" as opposed to what I'm just used to having. With what I don't need, taking it and recycling it around the house, selling it or donating it. Self-sufficiency to me means using newly found space for storage of things I used to buy but now I make. To me it's truly a learn ten new things a day (mostly by reading this forum) and adding to the list of things I want to DIY. Right now I'm in the "out with the old" phase, making room for the "new" that I will make here instead of buying at the store.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being SS...well...lets see...I hope I don't offend anyone. Hunting and gathering....growing and raising...storing and canning....without the help of "big brother" who seems to have the "hand" in just about everything we do now days. Hunting...unfortunately( for some) means...killing, and processing.....gathering...finding what grows naturally on this planet....growing...planting seeds and harvesting the "fruits of your labor" , raising....breeding, hatching, whatever it takes...to raise a young animal to maturity, or "processing age" , storing..."putting food by" in a place where it will keep through the non growing seasons....canning...processing foods that will have a stable shelf life.....big brother...the man....the rule makers...hopefully NOT for me for too long. SS is also about community....neighbors helping neighbors...family looking out for family...and friends being there for each other. Sharing knowledge....lending a shoulder or back...trading commodities and workloads. We are only bound by the rules we LET ourselves be bound by. Who says you can not grow rice in Indiana? Break the rules....make it work, if you "need" it to work....it can.

Latest posts