What does it take?

Mrs. Davis

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Hello all. I desire to continue to be self reliant. I raise a small vegetable garden right now, and have a few chickens. But I want more. I am currently unemployed, but have the means to further my operation.

Realistically, how big of a garden (traditionally maintained) do I need to grow an abundance of vegetables to can and eat year around? I feel we are still headed toward bad days, and I want to be as ready as possible. I'd love to know your thoughts on basic long-term food storage too. How much and what would you store?

As for dairy source, goats or a cow?

Thanks,

Mrs. Ruth Ann Davis

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome The size garden you need depends on several factors, such as, how many people are in your family? What do you want to grow? How long is your growing season?

Just a FYI for anyone that doesn't know, using a combination of square foot gardening, companion planting and vertical gardening means that you can grow more in less space.

As for a dairy source, both goats and cows have their pros and cons. What you need to do is figure out both, then decide what works best for you.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Figuring out how much to grow is an ongoing process... Your yield can change according to a whole slew of variables: varieties chosen, insects and other animals belly up to the salad bar, too much heat or not enough, cold snaps, too much rain or not enough rain...
A garden journal can be an important tool... you can see what worked and what didn't, how much of a yield for the amount planted, and why.
That said, there are sites online that can give you a general idea of yields per row-feet.

On the question of dairy animals, my DH wanted me to mention that full size animals usually give you a better feed-to-milk ratio than pygmies and miniatures :hide

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On the question of dairy animals, my DH wanted me to mention that full size animals usually give you a better feed-to-milk ratio than pygmies and miniatures

Yes, but a mini-breed cow or a couple of goats will take less land and feed. That is another consideration for smaller properties.

Latest posts