What does self sufficiency mean to you?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
SS means to me.....
  • Relying less on the grocery store
  • Participating less in consumerism-related social norms
  • Opting out of public school for secular reasons
  • Getting to learn something new and experiment with wacky projects!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a good point. I wish I had started when I was younger! (not that I'm that old) I make a point of teaching my daughter as much as I can. She may not choose this lifestyle but she will know how to do things for herself if she ever needs/wants to.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They really are -my grandkids (yes, I am THAT old) LOVE to come to the farm. They want to help with everything - and I let 'em!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can truly be completely self-sufficient (no man is an island). But it is the journey that is the important thing. Doing what you can for yourself (and for others!) and keeping old skills and knowledge available so they are not lost to future generations.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A small garden, a goat or two & some chickens...you can probably have all your food resources right there, managed correctly.

I like to feel I can provide for me, my animals & my kids if needed (mind you they are all fully grown!! My "baby" is 47).
This means that I work at life and that I know HOW to do what is needed to live without the things many feel are necessities. Yes, that means electric power & running water.

Alternatives need to be explored for those everyday things we take for granted -- driving, washing machines, running water, electricity, grocery stores, cleaning supplies, personal hygiene supplies, seeds, animal feeds, medical care, etc. It is not always convenient but, you need to know what to do if necessary. Being able to maintain your farmstead is great.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I cut my own hair, and cut hubby's hair as well. He trims up my scraggly ends in the back which I can't reach. I have to say that USUALLY, I end up with a better self inflicted hair cut than any cut that I've paid $20+ for!