What dog breed should we get?

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK, our dog is wonderful, but useless. We need a new dog. Here are my working dog needs:
1. under 40 lbs
2. shorter hair as it is rainy here and I don't like the wet dog stink
3. must chase deer (if he had laser eyes and could kill them on site I would be super happy!)
4. Loves to kill gophers and vermin
5. smart
6. can be left alone but likes cats and people

We will be loving this dog as a family pet, but really trying to keep it a working dog. Any thoughts?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sounds like a terrier, possibly a small pit bull terrier. My big girl chases deer and digs moles with a vengeance! She likes people, and doesn't mind cats too much. Every dog will need a bit of training and socialization. With a Pit Bull I would NOT get one if you don't have alot of time to train and socialize. It sounds like a Terrier is exactly what you need though.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I have been looking at Jack Russells, Rat and Fox Terriers. I'm partial to the Jack's appearance, but I think the Rat better suits my needs. Major ground squirrel issues!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We had a good terrier once, she moused like cats. Friendly around the cats, never chased deer though. She was a sweetie too!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Another vote here for a terrier breed. With a little training, ours is fine around the chickens, too. During the spring as we are taking apart the compost piles, the terrier and the chickens go mouse nest hunting together. She's a good little fireplug.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Reading the OP it sounds like a perfect description of a terrier (apparently a number of us saw that :lol:). I would recommend getting a puppy so you can train it up right. Terriers are not by nature cat lovers; if not raised with cats I think you might have difficulties in that regard.
You might also consider a dachshund (not a mini!) They were originally bred for badger hunting - short legs and long body for getting down the badger's hole. Don't know how they are with ground squirrels, but some research might clarify that. (Scratch that! :lol: I just remembered that you want a deer chaser as well - oops! :p)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Agree to some type of terrier. Of course, you could go w/a nekkid dog. Then, you don't have to worry about the wet dog smell.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Reading the OP it sounds like a perfect description of a terrier (apparently a number of us saw that :lol:). I would recommend getting a puppy so you can train it up right. Terriers are not by nature cat lovers; if not raised with cats I think you might have difficulties in that regard.
You might also consider a dachshund (not a mini!) They were originally bred for badger hunting - short legs and long body for getting down the badger's hole. Don't know how they are with ground squirrels, but some research might clarify that. (Scratch that! :lol: I just remembered that you want a deer chaser as well - oops! :p)
They said "chaser", not "catcher". :D

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
ORChick said:
They said "chaser", not "catcher". :D
:yuckyuck