What Equates Emergency? aka...need to pack a hospital bag....

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
A large sterilized rubberband to tie off the cord to stop the blood flow from the placenta.
I read it is better to do this and wait to let the medical personal cut the cord.
Under normal circumstances, it's best to leave it attached and undisturbed entirely. This is especially true before delivery of the placenta - the umbilical cord will continue to provide oxygen to the baby, which may be lifesaving in an out-of-hospital situation if the baby is having a slow start. Cutting the cord is cutting their oxygen supply. They'll do it in an emergency in the hospital if they need to resuscitate the baby, but they have appropriate equipment for that at the hospital! Leaving the cord undisturbed also decreases the change of infection being introduced.

Someone suggested a bottle of water to wash the baby. DON'T. Hypothermia is one of the biggest dangers to newborns. Wait until you can use nice warm water in a controlled environment - the birth junk isn't going to hurt anyone.

Dry baby off with a clean towel, and put it skin-to-skin with the mother (this helps with temperature regulation, as well as keeping them both happy), then wrap them both in a good warm blanket or two.

So basically, towels and blankets are most important. If you're stuck without either, use whatever is available to keep them warm.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
jess said:
Woodland Woman said:
A large sterilized rubberband to tie off the cord to stop the blood flow from the placenta.
I read it is better to do this and wait to let the medical personal cut the cord.
Under normal circumstances, it's best to leave it attached and undisturbed entirely. This is especially true before delivery of the placenta - the umbilical cord will continue to provide oxygen to the baby, which may be lifesaving in an out-of-hospital situation if the baby is having a slow start. Cutting the cord is cutting their oxygen supply. They'll do it in an emergency in the hospital if they need to resuscitate the baby, but they have appropriate equipment for that at the hospital! Leaving the cord undisturbed also decreases the change of infection being introduced.

Someone suggested a bottle of water to wash the baby. DON'T. Hypothermia is one of the biggest dangers to newborns. Wait until you can use nice warm water in a controlled environment - the birth junk isn't going to hurt anyone.

Dry baby off with a clean towel, and put it skin-to-skin with the mother (this helps with temperature regulation, as well as keeping them both happy), then wrap them both in a good warm blanket or two.

So basically, towels and blankets are most important. If you're stuck without either, use whatever is available to keep them warm.
X2
A baby will thrive far better if all his blood has been allowed to drain fully into his system, rather then cutting it off right away.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
GREAT advice Jess!!

As far as regular stuff. yeah the things they charge you alot for at the hospital, bring it yourself. Andthis is a biggie for me from when I delivered my son. I had been in the hospital since 9am (June 15)and delivered at 12:38am June 16) I was SOOOOOOOO hungry after I gave birth and the kitchen was closed. All they could find for me was a couple packs of saltine crackers, so IDk if it is the same for c sections, (or safe) but I reccommend food.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
GREAT advice Jess!!

As far as regular stuff. yeah the things they charge you alot for at the hospital, bring it yourself. Andthis is a biggie for me from when I delivered my son. I had been in the hospital since 9am (June 15)and delivered at 12:38am June 16) I was SOOOOOOOO hungry after I gave birth and the kitchen was closed. All they could find for me was a couple packs of saltine crackers, so IDk if it is the same for c sections, (or safe) but I reccommend food.
Ooooooooh You don't want to know about the food issue!!!

After a c-section, they put you on a LIQUID DIET and as a breast feeding mom, you're so starved - AND EXTREMELY CRANKY - but the dr's won't let you have solids until you pass gas! ACK!

TMI - but I was passing gas by after my evening meal of liquids. They promised I'd have a real breakfast in the A.M. since I was passing gas. Next morning - they brought me LIQUIDS again! I said, "Where's my REAL food?" They had forgot to tell my Dr. the night before! E said he thought I was going to toss that tray across the room I WAS MAD AND HUNGRY. So my Dr. comes in at I think 8 am and I complained LOUDLY that I wanted food. She said as soon as I pass gas, they'll get me food. To which I replied kind of rudely, "I'VE BEEN PASSING GAS SINCE LAST NIGHT."

I had solid food in like 15 minutes LOL!