What foods to store from a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner's point of view

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
PS: Expect me to pontificate and be preachy on this topic. We were well designed and our food was well designed. That humans think they can do better in a factory is just crazy and insulting to our Creator. Besides, real food is amazingly delicious! Seriously!
You rock, wish I had more closely followed your advice all those years ago

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:pop

I skipped a lot to post and will go back and read. I was thinking about nutrition in self-sufficiency as in whether or not eating what we grow can provide our nutritional needs. I used USDA Supertracker and disregard their macros, but use their micros. I've played with it on and off for several months. The first deficiency I noticed in my family's diet was vitamin K. Kale is high in vitamin K. And we grow and dehydrate kale! :celebrate I powdered it, did some math and know how much kale per day to meet our nutrition requirements - it's not much. My family refers to it as "vitamin kale" now. :lol:

We don't get enough vitamin C, D, or E either. I don't have "grow your own" solutions for those yet. I don't get enough iron either.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well let's see... Vitamin C is present in lots of foods, like most of the brassicas, peppers, and strawberries and although canning and drying tend to destroy, fermenting does not... so make lots of kraut and pickles! Vitamin D is synthesized by your body from sunshine, so go out and work in the garden! Vitamin E is present in lots of foods such as sunflower seeds, various leafy greens, pumpkin, red peppers...

I add powdered kale to lots of foods- scrambled eggs, smoothies, spaghetti sauce. As you say, it doesn't take much and although the taste is stronger than fresh kale, you don't need much to make an impact on nutrition.

The thing I've noticed is that, wherever humans have thrived, all of our nutritional needs can be found in the foods that can grow in that area. Otherwise, humans would not have thrived there!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of pickles, but I saw a red pickled pepper recipe I want to try. I am trying to grow sunflower seeds this year and pumpkin keeps well.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am super excited about this post! KNowing what to grow, how to blend that into a daily meal plan and learning what balances a diet is something I struggle with. I also really like chocolate and doritos.... :hide and noodles and bread. I can live off noodles and bread....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love bread and homemade jelly. I love brownies. With wine. AAAARGGHH!!!!

After moving, it has taken 3 gardens to reach a level of enough humus, fertility and sweat labor that I think everything won't die.

Glad you started this. I need to get us back on track.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my dang mother who keeps introducing my kid to things I don't want her eating- grr! But really, yes back on track sounds right, I need to get there also.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably 10 years ago I went to a holistic health practitioner ... He told me to stop eating half of what I eat now. I cracked down for about a month before I got overwhelmed (I was just out of college and single.... Not a lot of commitment) I have never felt so healthy, strong and alert in my life. I need to go back to that... So hard!

Latest posts