What have you STOPPED doing and not missed a bit!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used the homemade detergent in an HE washer with no problems, and I'm one of those wasteful folks who likes to put in a ton of laundry soap, lol. As for making the laundry soap, I bought a hand crank grater for $12 at the thrift shop and that has cut a LOT of time off. Someone I talk to has given me an idea of how to cut out some work by boiling water and pouring that over the grated soap, instead of *cooking* the soap. If it works out for my grating size, then that will even save me the time of washing the pot that I boil in. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Heck, you could do that right in the jug! Just throw your soap, other ingredients, boiled water and shake....let sit awhile, shake again and fill to the top with the cooler water and shake again. No pots needed. May try that next time to see if the soap gets a good melt on..... :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This last time, I made a 6x batch. I didn't do it intentionally, I was meaning to do a 3x batch that would fit into my bucket. Unfortunately, I have to admit that it's a PITA to mix the water and concentrated gel. I feel like it doesn't mix as well, and can even leave a frothy "whipped soap" on top, instead of a nice evenly mixed detergent that is actually comparable to the consistency of store bought stuff. :/ Since I use a big spigot type dispenser container, it's easier to not have to shake it before each use. Anyways, it'll be awhile before I get to try the new way, so maybe I'll give it a shot doing it right in the bottle. Sounds like that might be quicker than using the funnel to get the gloopy stuff into the container, lol.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We no longer buy meat, except fish.
I make ALL our soap, although DH still buys shampoo from time to time.
I make our laundry and dishwasher soap.
We have our own eggs and buy few fruits and vegetables.
I don't buy white flour--well ONLY when making biscotti.
We don't buy syrup, but my mom just gifted us maple syrup and the kids nearly swooned (poor, deprived children :))
Our clothes are 95% from secondhand stores.

Bettacreek--I put my laundry detergent in ice cream pails with a 1/4-cup scoop. I just scoop out the amount I need and it doesn't matter
what consistency is has that way... no need to pour that way.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
We no longer buy meat, except fish.
I make ALL our soap, although DH still buys shampoo from time to time.
I make our laundry and dishwasher soap.
We have our own eggs and buy few fruits and vegetables.
I don't buy white flour--well ONLY when making biscotti.
We don't buy syrup, but my mom just gifted us maple syrup and the kids nearly swooned (poor, deprived children :))
Our clothes are 95% from secondhand stores.

Bettacreek--I put my laundry detergent in ice cream pails with a 1/4-cup scoop. I just scoop out the amount I need and it doesn't matter
what consistency is has that way... no need to pour that way.
That's a good idea. I can probably get that size from the grocery store for free. Icing buckets. :D Sure would beat lugging around that dispenser thing, lol.

As for syrup, I haven't bought any in a long time either, and I've found that we don't even miss it. We just use thin jams for that. :) We handwash, so I use the laundry detergent unless it's REALLY greasy, like, should have scraped the pan out better. I do the same with anything else that needs to be cleaned. Either dissolved CP soap or some diluted laundry detergent. :D This year I'm hoping to collect the apples from my parents' trees and press them to make cider vinegar.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
I am just curious, as we all have our limits, what SS things have you given up on and not looked back? Have you ever almost given up on something, but then just changed something about how you were doing it, and it made all the difference?

This curiousity is based on some conversations the spouse and I have had about our next house... hopefully, the forever house. What our limits are, how much property we want, what kind/how much maintenance, etc.
I've been thinking about your question for a few days, and I think for me the most important thing that I've done is to make a decision to not compare myself and where I'm at on my SS journey to where others are.

It can be a bit depressing to think about what we don't have or can't do, rather than focusing on what we DO have and CAN do. I live in the city, and due to decisions my family has made regarding work and school we're going to be here for a few more years at least. So we're a bit limited when it comes to space and what we are allowed to do by law on our property.

I've learned a lot from my own personal successes and failures along the way, from reading about the experiences of others, and know I have lots of time to learn and try new things--so I'm trying my hardest to just do what I CAN and not despair for what I can't. It is definitely a journey :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried making my own laundry detergent with two different soap types and using in top and front loading machines. Hubby had no issue with it other than it wouldn't get the aircraft grunge out. I think the baking soda doesn't get washed out well enough. I get a nasty burn from baking soda on my skin like the underside of my arms and on my chest. I have no issues with eating it, though.

I absolutely hate hand washing dishes more than anything. So I was very happy to be able to quit doing that when we moved to a place with a dishwasher.

Latest posts