What I learned from the last four days without power

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We just had a major wind storm blow through. Power was down for 2 days and some places are still down. Even with my windmill down for replacement from last springs windstorm, my solar panels and batteries kept the lights from flickering and the freezers on without a glitch. The back up generator didn't kick on.

I just had a switch installed on my yard light and turn off non- essentials like it. We are changing over to LED bulbs. They are expensive, but an 8w bulb generates better light then a 100w incandescent. 10 bulbs for the use of one; can't beat it when on wind and solar. In terms of monetary return, wind and solar is too expensive but in terms of keeping the water pump going, well worth it. We have a dug well so in a pinch the old bucket and pulley works well. Just be a major pain to water the stock.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I don't want to sound too dense.....I'm from the deep south and I've only gone thru about 7 hard freezes in my 46 years and I've seen very little snow in my years as well. I understand about outages though because hurricanes can be devastating. What I am confused about is the freezer and refrigerator isssues. Couldn't a shelf be emptied in a shed and all the contents of the freezer be put there? Couldn't an ice chest be partially filled with ice to keep the refrigerator food good? I mean here refrigeration is a major issue during outages....2nd by AC, because it will get hot and muggy (we used our AC today). But for other things that really don't require much electricity anyway, like lights, radios, tvs (unless you have a huge one with lots of extras attached to it), I would think some standby battery power might be useful.
I have a whole house generator and a small generator....well kinda small; its a 13 HP. Smaller than the whole house anyway. Its nice to be able to live as usual, so I'm with you. I just don't get it exactly because we have completely different weather extremes.
are you in mississippi??? or georgia.. if so i need some tips!