What influenced you on your path to self sufficiency?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WBF, I can identify with your post. "Poor is just a state of mind." I like that. My DH and I have much less money coming in than many retired couples. But we are very frugal, and don't really yearn for things money can buy. (well, I do lust after some pieces of jewelry, but where would I wear it?) We very rarely eat out. We don't have cable. We don't have credit card balances. We don't drink sodas or hardly any alcoholic stuff. I treat our minor ailments at home, and we don't go shopping just for the heck of it. We do buy used books, and dietary suppliments, and yard sale stuff at times. My grandkids love to come over and help cook, tend the chickens, help grandpa with woodworking projects, go to the creek, go hunt fossils, have a picnic in the yard. DH still has the habit of running into town too often, but he is trying to be more prepared and cut down on trips. I absolutely love being able to throw together a meal without having to run to town for something. Sometimes I challenge myself to see how long I can go without a trip to town. I could entertain myself for years here at my home, not spending money!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I started about 7 1/2 years ago. When my youngest was born she was extremely sick. After 3 years of constant testing and hospitalizations I gave up on doctors and started making everything from scratch. Within a few months she was perfectly fine and finally gaining weight like she should have been. The doctors were skeptical at first but she hasn't been in the hospital (not counting having her tonsils out) for 7 years. Their best guess...... She has an intolerance to something in the food!:smack Glad I paid all that money for that diagnosis.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great question. I think part of it was that I was (and still am) sooo sick and tired of my job and I felt that I could run my own little farm and stay home. It sure isnt as easy as that and quite frustrating, but things are coming together and I am a year away from kissing this ungrateful company I work for goodbye. Another part was the quality of life, and the quality of food you can produce on your own. I grew up in East Germany and we made most of everything from scratch. When I first come over here I had terrible skin outbreaks from the food. To date I am having a hard time digesting lettuce because of all the preservatives. If so called healthy food can do this to your system I am afraid to think what unhealthy food does. So I started to grow some of my own food and the taste is well worth waiting for it to come into season. Last year I taught myself to can so hopefully this year I can continue the tradition. I will say that chickens are a life saver. They fertilize my lawn, they eat my leftovers, they taste excellent, and you get eggs. I started to keep track of my chicken expenses and other than the house the chickens have been paying for all of their own food for the past 2 months just with the money I made selling eggs to people. It has been a very nice experience and I am trying to find ways to cut cost more and increase my profit margin to help our farm grow.

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
millie said:
I am new here, and I have not admit I am not exactly SS like all of you, but, I am on a path to simplicity. I may not be able to block out the outside world, but I am trying to limit its pull. I have been influenced by prayer and knowing people who live simply. I truely try to be in the world and not of the world.
I am on the same road as you! Glad to see I am not on the road alone!!

countrycathy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been thinking of slowing down and living without quite a bit .
Now that our children are grown and gone, it would be much easier .

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Tell us more about yourself.