What is a Zombie?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Neko-chan said:
That "fault line" in the Mississippi area technically isn't really a fault line. It's more of a wrinkle zone, caused by the North American Plate being warped by it's neighboring plates. Probably less dangerous than living on an actual fault zone (like the San Andreas, or Japan).
That doesn't really cover the threat appropriately. The new madrid is nothing to sneer at, sorry. 4 of the largest north american quakes recorded are from the New Madrid. The last set of quakes rang church bells in Virginia and shook windows as far as Washington D.C. It was felt that far away, Boston, New York as well. And the thing is, this region doesn't move or shift along the fault, unlike the San Andreas. The ground just shakes. I think that is why it doesn't get as much coverage as other faults, where you can actually see the ground split & shift in 2 directions.
And like GNT said, the area is way more populated now, with more & taller buildings. The bad part about that is that only the area right around the center (New Madrid, MO) has adopted earthquake building codes. Now when you talk about the earth shaking thousands of miles away, building coming down thousands of miles away, why wouldn't you at least be concerned if you lived near it?
http://www.hsv.com/genlintr/newmadrd/accnt1.htm
http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/compendium/enigma.pdf

What really sets it apart in my mind is that it seems to have very brief spurts of furious activity, but goes quiet for long periods of time.
Well, it hasn't been quiet for a while now. There have been over 4000 quakes in the region since 1974. None terribly large, yes, but still, there they are.
Maybe the stress is being relieved by the relatively small quakes over the past few decades, but still, not something you'd want to dismiss.

And you have to take into account that yes, in 1812 the MS river did contraflow and flooding was terrible. As we've seen from the recent flooding, the area along the MS river is not exactly safe. I've never been so glad to live in the hills in my life.
Sorry, that got long winded, but I've studied a bit about the new madrid and IMO, waaaaay too many people brush it off.
Since I live in Missouri I tend to keep track of this Madrid Quake zone stuff. The earthquakes in what they are calling the Enola Swarm are not really considered part of the Madrid fault zone. As a matter of a fact they did not know that this fault even existed until recently. They think the quakes may actually be man made (oh goodie here we go again) by a process to recover natural gas called the "fracking process" where salt water is pumped under pressure into the earth to cause the natural gas to rise up and out. They have court ordered this process to stop in several other places in the country in the past and the earthquakes in those areas stopped.
Arkansas Geological survey
man made quakes?

More likely those little quakes nearby are going to wake the sleeping giant. A giant who, when he last spoke, caused the Mississippi to run backwards, giant waves, and church bells to ring in the towers in Boston Massachusetts! Missouri quake history

Yup. The we should at least have a few zombies to deal with.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I'm not sure i like this weight loss plan. :duc
it's not advisable. Long pork or vegetarian for a time..

Latest posts