What is a Zombie?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What kind of situation do you foresee that will require both you and other people to need six months of supplies?
Hyperinflation

What kind if situation do you foresee that will cause people to come streaming out of cities looking for your stuff?
Civil unrest

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Lady Henevere...........
I would highly recommend that you read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.
Then Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

The possibilities are chilling.....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
k0xxx said:
Also known as the Golden Horde, they could be a real possibility in a TEOTWAKI situation. Unfortunately, I live about 1 full tank away from 2 major cities (600k+), and one smaller city (150k+). Fortunately (for us) these days, not many people are smart enough to keep their tanks full or have fuel on hand to top off their tanks.
What kind if situation do you foresee that will cause people to come streaming out of cities looking for your stuff?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. (And I hate feeling like I'm missing something obvious!) Thanks!
No, these are not dumb questions.

There are many things that could cause people to flee cities. An EMP/Solar flare causing a nationwide loss of the electrical grid or a collapse of the currency would cause a disruption or total loss of the food distribution system. Stores today utilize the "just in time" inventory method, and keep only a few days worth of goods on hand. Anything that causes the loss of the power grid, would result in no food distribution. Without the grid, can you imagine living in a high rise apartment with no power for the elevators, or no water/sewerage service for very long?

Other possible scenarios are a pandemic, nuclear terrorism or war, major biological attacks on cities, etc., etc. etc. Basically, anything that takes down the grid or disrupts/stops food distribution will make cities mostly unlivable and induce flight to other areas.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
i_am2bz said:
I know I would start feeling resentful, despite my best efforts to the contrary, if my 6 months of supplies suddenly became 2 months due to extra folks who didn't take the time/money/effort that I did.
What kind of situation do you foresee that will require both you and other people to need six months of supplies?
Just what KOxxx, Wifezilla, & SKR8PN said. Personally, I am anticipating a collapse of the economy. Think of the Great Depression, only happening now. I think people would become MUCH more violent than they were in the '30's. For heaven's sake, people riot when their favorite team WINS a championship! What will happen when unemployment is 30%...? When the government shuts down & people don't get their food stamps, UIB, etc.?

Of course, not EVERYONE would become a Zombie, but I think a lot of "survival of the fittest" instinct will kick in. People will do whatever they have to to stay alive.

But hey, I'm a born pessimist. :/

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
But even during the riots in the early 90s, none of us were fighting off "zombies" -- we just steered clear of the bad parts of town (which most everyone from anywhere else does anyway), and went about our usual business.
This is fortunate for you, BUT what of those who do live in the less desirable parts of town? People who live in poverty, etc; those who cannot always afford to live elsewhere.

There ARE real world examples where it is 'every man for himself', they might not be occurring in the US. Yet. But they are out there. All the more reason to be thankful that are on this land, instead of where it is happening.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm personally a realist.....I am not blind to the goings on around the world, as well as on our own soil. Nor to the happenings in the universe. Things are happening. Its hard for people in big cities to see it, since they are consumed with their own world. They must get to work, battling traffic, crowds, etc. They know that when they go to the store, their favorite foods are there. They expect it. They don't know where the food comes from, or how it got there....nor do they care. Its hot today, raining horribly tomorrow, then hot again. Was it like this last year? They don't know nor care. But.....

......take that all away. Take away the electricity, the blackberry phone, the laptop, the elevator, the ability to flush the toilet. Suddenly their world is turned upside down and they have no idea as to why. They have no idea how to grow a flower, much less a tomato plant. They don't know how to preserve, or conserve......wasteful of food and resources, they are now fish out of water. They get angry, hungry after one day, thirsty......they panic. Now you have blind rage and panic running everywhere, doing what they can or think they know in order to survive. Eventually they will spill out to our necks of the woods.

In that scenario, you can't just steer clear of that part of town, because its the WHOLE town/city. They are chasing YOU, looting your home, stealing everything you have, and possibly beating you to death in the process.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As the old saying goes, "Expect the worst, but hope for the best."

Guess I'd rather be laying on my death bed at age 98, thinking about my room full of supplies, thinking "Well, THAT sure was a waste of money...!" ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

If I am on my deathbed and I still had supplies, I would just consider that my kids' inheritance :D No waste there!