What is in your vegetable gardens?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Go on you all…. Make me jealous ;) What is growing in your gardens?

I have 1.5 plants right now. (Not counting the origanum making a comeback in a bucket) The .5 is a strawberry that is still deciding if it's going to forgive the latest attempt to kill it… Thanks chickens :rolleyes:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooh good question! I went basic this year. We have peas, beans (pole and bush), spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, summer and winter squash, carrots, beets, pumpkins and gourds. Oh, and some herbs. And I'll plant kale for a fall crop.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My itty bitty garden has (in tubs) tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, potatoes, comfrey, kale and chard (that aren't doing very well) and a tub that I planted a sweet potato in.

In the ground are bush beans, pole beans, eggplant, hot and mild peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, radishes and lettuces (both of which are almost done for the season). No corn, no okra, and no winter type squashes that survived :(.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our big garden has
  • Peas - usually do Maestro and Little Marvel, but planted Wando this year
  • Green beans
  • Experiment of a drying bean from Baker Creek
  • Cucumber
  • Watermelon
  • Acorn squash
  • Butternut squash
  • Zucchini
  • Pie pumpkin
  • Carving pumpkin
  • Giant pumpkin - that's DS10's pick
  • Onion - stuttgarter variety
  • Tomato - 6 - 8 varieties planted, lost some to frost
  • Yellow banana pepper - first bunch of peppers froze and that was only variety left
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Broccoli
  • Radish - daikon type
  • Carrot - several varieties
  • White beets - not sure if DH planted them, but I told him to
  • LOTS OF WEEDS! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Forgot my melons too... Wow my brain isn't working today!! My peppers died... Can't seem to grow peppers here

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
LOTS OF WEEDS! :lol:
In that case I should probably add Nettles! to mine lol Those things hate me as much as I hate them, so I leave them alone most of the time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far, I have strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, sage and chives-survived winter. Lettuces, both leaf and head types, tomatoes, chard, basil, broccoli, kale, winter squash, cucumbers, summer squash, melons, and chili peppers. Still to plant are sweet peppers, bush beans, beets, carrots, rat-tail radishes, and maybe some regular radishes if it stays cool. Got a few eggplants sitting in the greenhouse too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I went very basic too, no corn this year, no melons. Things still in seedling trays, yet to be planted are tomatoes~beefsteak, cherry and a few paste, peppers~hot and sweet wax, jalapeno, green peppers and gypsy sweets.

In the ground: Red Pontiac spuds, sweet Candy onions, asparagus, raspberries, rhubarb, chives, strawberries, garlic, sugar snap peas, Boston pickler cukes, Fortex beans, Romaine lettuces, carrots, pak choy, broccoli, squash, pumpkins, radishes, and a whole slew of flowers of all kinds

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll miss a few things. Perennials listed first. Some are annuals that reseed so I sort of consider them perennials in that I don't need to replant them.

Peaches, plums, strawberries, rhubarb, chives, spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm, Feverfew, gooseberries, currants, lingonberries, schizandra, catnip, grapes, garlic, scallions, sweet peppers, parsley, stevia, Rosemary, raspberries, apples, pears, and then there are the full sun flowers and the shade garden flowers and hostas.

Those were all in the yard, the following are in the two gardens in the back.

Comfrey, walking onions, potatoes, wormwood, oregano, Sage, calendula, collards, pole beans, bush beans, snow peas, sugar snap peas, radishes, three types of tomatoes, three types of cukes, zucchinis, acorn squash, red onions, Dill, beets, carrots, two types of Swiss chard, spinach, kale, yellow mustard, basil, and three types of lettuce.

I still have maybe a hundred feet of row to plant but we had such a long, cold spring and it's suddenly very hot so I think I'll wait a little bit and just plant more of stuff I've already planted. I think I'm going to have a stronger fall garden then I usually have here because of this. Plus I have a brand new greenhouse to play with. I put some of the tomatoes in it just to experiment. We don't have the plastic cover on it yet. My plan is to do that towards the end of summer.

I also do a bit of foraging and don't plant anything that I can forage.