What is meant by banking the firelogs?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
roda_bruce your house must be up on stilts, to be talking about closing in the bottom. Cause I know there ain't no basements in south Louisiana! :lol: No basements in southeast Texas either, unless it's an indoors, underground swimming pool! Then an alligator would probably move in....... lol

No pine trees? Then you have no lighter pine which makes lighting a fire so much easier. Sounds like you are making progress with your bottom floor heater, are you putting in a rocket stove? My Dad put in a double drum wood heater system in his workshop and greenhouse many years ago. It did a remarkable job of keeping it all warm.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep...high and dry.
We have pine trees now, but they are in private yards and have been intentionally planted. Its only the past decade or 2 or 3 that seedlings have taken root, where they fell and became a tree. Absolutely none in our woods though.
I haven't been messing on the computer much lately. Working full-time and homeschooling and when I'm on call, I have to go in if any shifts need coverage, so late checking in.
I really haven't decided what type of stove I'm putting downstairs, but looking forward to the project.
If I get the deminsions of the skylights, I can do some math and start putting 2X4s in between the stilts to have it all ready for the panels.