what is the difference (in kidspeak)between homeopathy and naturopathy

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
that pretty much says it.

The other day while I was at the health food store, I met a naturopath who just started a practise in that town . Duirng our conversation, it was mentioned tha alot of ppl in this area go see a homeopath. My friend travels 2 hours to see her homeopath.

Which is better, and what are the differences between them. Anyone know? ( in know, silly question, I know you guys know.)

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow I always thought they were pretty much the same thing... I thought homeeopathy dealt with healing with things from home... and naturopathy used things from nature to heal... :idunno So I just thought they both use herbs....

It will be interesting to see what the real difference is when someone more knowledgeable comes along... :pop

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My understanding of homeopathy....(forget the appearance of the word home)...it has to do with using a microscopic amount of a substance (usually, but not always, herbal) in a diluted tincture to create a response that triggers a "healing crisis." The remedy chosen will bring on the same symptoms as the health issue being treated.

The remedies are so diluted that there may be only a few molecules of the original herb left in it. The delivery method is usually in a few tiny beads of sugar that are put under the tongue until they melt. There are different treatment protocols...the last ND I went to also practiced homeopathy and she wanted me to NOT eat or drink anything for a half hour before and after taking the remedies. Some require that you not use certain herbs at all during the weeks/months of treatment, such as mint (watch that toothpaste) or coffee or pot. Yes, pot. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of questions that the homeopath will ask to determine which remedy is appropriate, and the approach is very holistic....physical symptoms are not the only thing used to determine the appropriate remedy, and which remedy is used can vary from appointment to appointment. The standard appointment is one hour.

A naturopathic doctor tends to use herbs and supplements and changes in diet as the basis for treatment. Many will work on healing the digestive system first. The last one I went to was the one who put me on the path I'm on now....at the same time my MD was researching a low glycemic lifestyle system for weight management, so I was getting it from all directions. My ND introduced me to Nourishing Traditions and www.westonapricefoundation.org and "properly raised food," as she put it.

That is a very short answer.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Homeopathy is a specialty, although some of them are also trained in other styles of healing. It reminds me of the idea behind vaccinations. - a tiny bit of something to teach your body how to deal with a problem. They really interview and observe the patient to get detailed info about your symptoms. Things most people wouldn't even think to tell the doc. That narrows down which remedies they will use that time. If the remedy fit the patients situation well enough, the results can be very fast.

Naturopaths tend to be open to using a variety of healing methods, They are very likely to start with suggestions about healthy eating, ways to lower stress and if your body seems depleted they are likely to suggest supplements. They tend to want levels checked, of various nutrients you may be low on, and frequently ask for tests to see if organs and glands are functioning properly.

They tend to be willing to use nutrients and herbs to help your body heal. Many of them see patients that are also seeing a conventional medicine Dr. They will want to know what meds are prescribed and a thorough medical history to avoid interactions. The goal will normally be to get the patient healthy enough to not need prescription drugs or at least not large amounts of drugs - on a routine basis.

The main problem is that most insurance companies don't pay for a Naturopath. Some of them get other medical degrees first, so they can see patients and make a living. Then they work on the natural medicine courses as a 2nd (or even more) degree for their specialty.
fixed typo

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks. I was pretty sure what a naturopath was, but when I researched homeopathy, I was left scratching my head.

My hubby's benefits cover naturopathy (he works for a great company) so the cost is not an issue. Where I am in my life, I am ready to go see a naturopathic doctor. I have a very bad taste in my mouth right now about medical doctors, since I discovered on my own about my gluten intolerance, which is why my MD had to prescribe me so many meds, all of which were only needed due to my intolerance.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please do some reading about homeopathy, if you are feeling inclined to try that. I know that many people swear by it, and are totally convinced of its efficacy. Others, however, are equally convinced that the whole idea is quackery. It is a controversial subject, and one you should go into (if that is your choice) with eyes wide open.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks mackay. I don't have al ot of time right now, but I'll take a look at it hopefully tomorrow.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay - could you explain further the following:
Remedies are made of many different things from the natural and chemical world. Some come from plants and animals, others from compound chemicals or elements we know from the periodic table. These individual substances are diluted and then potenized though the act of percussion many times over.
(1st part of 3rd paragraph in "What is a dilute and potenized remedy?")

I guess what I'd like clarified is the use/definition of the word 'percussion.' I know of percussion instruments, and I think of drumming, and just can't imagine how beating or pounding on something (I'm imagining a liquid) can make it stronger, more potent.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, diluting is just adding more water, in specific measured amounts.

percussing is just that. When the water had been added is is surcussed on the table, 10, a 100 a 1000 times depending on the potency of the remedy.. The old original instructions were to percuss or on an old think leather book...

In jogging the remedy in this fashion the vibrational quality of the remedy is shifted... no one knows really what happens but something happens and is is observed in how the remedy performs...

its action lies in quatum physicis it is now beleived. People are getting close to figuring it out as it is being diligently studied in some universities, mostly Europe

I have had the experience of when a remedy was not working as I thought it should, rapped it 10 times on the table then took and bingo.

Same with dilution.. Once I had the flu and the remedy gelsenium should have been working and it did for about 1 hour then I'd be flat on my back again and in pain.. so I took the remedy and put a few drops in a big glass of water and sipped on it through the day. My back did not see the bed again.. I became fully well in short order.