What is the rudest thing anyone has ever said to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I was thinking about this over the holidays and thought I would post.

My father is a really nasty guy sometimes. He can be pretty rude. For him, a compliment would be (actual example): You don't look as broad in the beam as you used to. or You don't look like a swollen, bloated tomato any more.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I used to weigh 380 pounds. Had weight loss surgery and lost 200 pounds. Surgery failed and I regained 100, and have now lost about half of that since going SS and working on the pain issues. So, I am almost "normal" now. Whatever that is.

There are people in this world who feel they have the right to say anything they want to you when you are fat. They consider you to be weak and to have all manner of character flaws.

Some years ago, my home became a refuge for troubled kids that my daughter met at school. Over two years, we had 11 of them living with us, and I held monthly dinners for up to 50. It was just a wonderful time.

Before one of those dinners, I was shopping at Costco for the meal and a woman employee came up to my cart and told me that the food I was buying was excessive and not healthy. She then proceeded to remove items from the cart that did not meet her standards and advised me of healthier choices. I was dumbstruck. Went straight to the manager and she was fired on the spot.

Another time, I entered a doctor's waiting room to see a small child playing happily on the floor. She looked up at me and started screaming "Mommy, mommy, don't let the fat lady get me." Her mom scooped her up, turned her little head away from me and said, "Don't worry honey, she won't eat you, Mommy will protect you." Talk about ignorance. Anyway, the receptionist called their name right away and the woman kept the child's face buried in her shoulder the whole time she left the room.

So, do you have any stories of people who have been incredibly inappropriate to you? Most of us have known dolts! If so, how did you deal with the rudeness? I am pretty proactive, as you can tell ! I have also carried myself with a lot of confidence, even at 380, so people have to have a LOT of chutzpah to say a word. And some do !

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can think of a few, not related to my weight, though.

My nephew and his wife were visiting, and I asked the wife if she would like me to make some coffee. She said "No thanks, I only drink good coffee."

I went to college later in life- graduated at the top of my class, BTW- and I was once supervising an arrogant young intern. She said she was glad she was going to college right after high school because she said "No offense, but I don't want to end up like you."

I felt like saying, "Honey, you don't have enough brains in your head to ever end up like me."

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rude
honestly not anything I can remember

our family doesn't go into being rude and such....we just don't do it

strangers haven't been rude to me...hmmm....not that anything I can remember was enough to stamp in my memory

friends....well I have them as friends so they aren't rude about me

I guess nothing comes to mind.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There seems to be an epidemic of a lack of social skills lately. Those were rude.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DH and I adopted our son when DH was 43 and I was 39. I have had more than one young mother say something to the effect that they were glad they had their children before they were so OLD. I haven't yet been accused of being DS's grandmother but it may happen yet.
I have had people ask probing questions about the adoption that are none of their business, then get offended when I refuse to answer. These people range from not so close family members, to acquaintences to complete strangers (who are told that DS was adopted by someone other than me!)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I wonder if sometimes the lack of social skills might be the result of indoctrination.

Take fat, for example. One of the most hated elements in our society is fat. We eliminate it, cut it, bust it, slash it, and in all ways demonize it. On TV and in print media, on the internet, and especially at the fisrt of the year, we are admonished to be free of fat, we resolve to get rid of fat in our lives so we can finally be happy.

The societal norm is to avoid fat at all costs. This indoctrination has created a mind set of hatred, and I dont' think I am over stating it.

The perception that fat is evil is easily transferred from the slab of butter on the pancakes to the woman at the mall. From decades of life experience, I can tell you that the attitudes toward fat as a dietary element and fat in a person's body are identical. Fat is disgusting, so a fat person is disgusting as well. Because we are flooded with negative input on dietary fat, it breaks down the restraint we might otherwise in approaching a fat person. Because society constantly hears profound messages of hatred toward dietary fat, people feel completely at ease attacking the fat PERSON.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always heard passive aggressive things.

"did you mean to do that to your hair? I mean, it's cute on you, but I would never do that"

"oh, you have such a pretty FACE"

that kind of crap.

no wonder I have such self esteme issues.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
"Are those your real boobs?" Exactly that way, is what I get alot.....and I dont even answer as I can not believe they even ask that...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well this is an indirect rudeness, but my MIL tales pride in the fact that she has never *looked * at my chickens. She has seen them out the window but has never intentionally walked out to see them....and she is proud of that fact :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah...people are nicer to me now that I am no longer 300 lbs. Even people who have known me forever. Kind of t's me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.