What is your cost per KWh for electricity and how is it produced

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am curious at how much per Killowatt hour people are paying in various parts of the country. I am also curious at the relationship between the cost of electricity and how it is produced. I believe that people in my area of the state of Vermont pay a high cost per Killowatt hour for electricity. We pay .07 (7 cents) per KWh for the first 100 KWh and then it jumps to .1506 (15.06 cents) for all KWh after the first 100 KWh. In addition, we also have a Customer Charge of $14.72 and an Energy Efficiency charge of $2.55 each month. The Co-Op also is currently charging us for an increase that has yet to be approved, this month it was $5.96. They say they will give it back if it is not approved.

I guess I am trying to detirmine where we fall in the cost of electricity accross the United States and detirmine if my costs are out of line with the rest of America. My energy comes from an unconvenional source. My Co-Op does not produce our electricity but it contracts out to other producers, mainly in Canada, for our electricity. These Canadian cntracts are comming due soon.

Edited for Typos and to clarify cost

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, it is nice to know that Canada sells our electricity that cheap...when they are charging us Canadians 5.6 cents per KWH for the first thousand killowatss AND we have to pay a $5.62 regulatry charge, $5.59 debt retirement charge, GST tax, AND then a DELIVERY charge that actually comes up to more than the KWH charge total.
So if you use $40.00 of hydro, you are paying another $41 for deliver of the hydro you used...

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said Wow, it is nice to know that Canada sells our electricity that cheap...when they are charging us Canadians 5.6 cents per KWH for the first thousand killowatss AND we have to pay a $5.62 regulatry charge, $5.59 debt retirement charge, GST tax, AND then a DELIVERY charge that actually comes up to more than the KWH charge total.
The cost I posted are in dollars so it is 7 cents for each KWh for the first 100 and 15.06 cents for each KWh after that. Since these contracts were negotiated several years ago, I am expecting an increase when they are renegotiated and I am scared at what the increase will be.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
MorelCabin said Wow, it is nice to know that Canada sells our electricity that cheap...when they are charging us Canadians 5.6 cents per KWH for the first thousand killowatss AND we have to pay a $5.62 regulatry charge, $5.59 debt retirement charge, GST tax, AND then a DELIVERY charge that actually comes up to more than the KWH charge total.
The cost I posted are in dollars so it is 7 cents for each KWh for the first 100 and 15.06 cents for each KWh after that. Since these contracts were negotiated several years ago, I am expecting an increase when they are renegotiated and I am scared at what the increase will be.
Haha and I was so wondering how you guys were getting it so cheap! LOL! Please excuse the speed bump in my brain lately...too much on the mind lately:>)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Geeze, I feel guilty. Our base cost is .01552 per kWh. We do have some other charges that increase our costs, though.

We have a charge of .01143 per kWh imposed by the FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), basically because they don't thinks it's fair to our neighboring states for our electricity to be so much cheaper. We're from the Federal Government, and we're here to help.

This makes our actual kWh rate .02595.

Our energy comes from nuclear, natural gas and coal.

I can't wait for "cap and trade" to get passed so I won't feel guilty anymore about having cheaper energy. :rolleyes:

*Edited to correct Fat Finger Syndrom (FFS)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We pay 10 cents per KWH. This month, this was a total of 685 KWH. There's a customer charge per day, which totalled $7.82 and a state-wide low-income assistance fee of 3%, which totalled $2.23. Grand total of $79.69 for 685 KWH.

I'm sure my company's main source is from coal, but they also get power from wind, hydro, anaerobic digesters, landfill gases, switchgrass and some solar.

Reaction score
11 cents per kwh for 1st 1500 then 9 cents per kwh thereafter. 13.95 per month service fee. Kiowa Colorado. Different grid than Denver. Most of Denver area is coal. They may buy from other sources.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
$.01266 per kWh here, and the highest I've gone in a year is 539 kWh in January 2009. My total bill for March 13-April 16 was $85.38, $27.27 of that is 'delivery charges' (ya gotta love it). I'm not sure what's generating this electricity, probably natural gas, although we do have coal fired plants here in New England.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm confused. Ann, wouldn't your core fee be about $6, then the delivery, at 1 cent per kWh?