What Kind of Boot/Shoes Do You Use in the Garden and Animal Pens?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wear Ariat All Terrain water proof boots. They are pricey, and I normally go thru a pair in a year. But then again, I'm really hard on them.

I just got a new pair about a month ago. But, since I'm determined to make these last longer, I still wear my old pair if it's not too wet out. (They have a couple of holes in them now.) And, I think that once I quit my job, since I won't be doing as much hard work, they should last longer.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have cheap muck boots that I wear for winter use and for the dirty jobs and for regular milking/feeding chores I use Crocs. They rinse/wash off easily and I can leave them outside on the porch without worrying about weather ruining them. I do need to find a pair without the holes though, I'm not a sock wearer and I'm always getting poked by hay through the holes.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love the Muck boots for winter. They aren't big on support, but I just finished my 3rd winter with this pair, so even though they were pricey, they do last. For summer I have a pair of knock off Teva sandals or go barefoot :hide or wear my plastic garden clogs that I got years and years ago. If I am going to be hiking through the woods I put on sneakers.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Summer- Boggs Urban Walker
Not Summer- Muck Chore

That's it. Around the house I were moccasins. I have no dress shoes or sneakers.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have worn Northerner boots by Servus for over twenty years. They cost about $15 at local farm supplier and are quite good.
About five years ago, I splurged on a pair of Hunter boots. I love them. I have narrow feet and I can wear them all day w/o my feet sliding around and getting sore toes (or wearing so many socks my feet overheat). They also provide great support which I need.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wear LL Bean Storm Chaser clogs. They are a bit pricey but they give me the best support and fit my feet well. I go through about 1 pair per year but they are worn pretty much every day. Even in the winter I wear them if the snow isn't too high.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wear cheapy rubber boots when it's wet, and crocs when it's not. You gotta love a shoe you can just hose off!!!!

HappyHomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a pair of clogs for casual, then if it's serious I use my Chaco boots. I love Chaco because they have the best arch support I've ever found, a wide toe bed - great when you're on your feet for ages - and a fairly narrow ankle - keeps my ankles from being fatigued. I bought them online at www.sierratradingpost.com for almost half their original price. They were maybe $70. Best money I ever spent! These boots have been up mountains and in ditches, and are so comfortable.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I usually go barefoot. My feet are easier to wash than shoes!

I use Muck Boot clogs on rainy days. They have no tread on the bottom - so easy to clean! But dangerous to walk on smooth surfaces when wet! They also have no holes (like crocs) so my feet get sweaty fast. Ewww. Perfect for chores, but I wear them for everyday shoes too.

Another thing I don't like is they stain. Mine are red. I've been wearing them for 3 years and they still stain my socks!

In winter I wear a pair of LL Bean snoq boots. Hate them because they are so stiff and heavy I can hardly walk in them!!!

I wear sneakers for walking in the woods.

How about a basic (rubber?) boot with no support, and then buy a good support to put in them?