what kind of scrap bucket do you have?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We use a plastic coffee can. We keep it open and my son dumps it in the outdoor compost bin daily. I haven't noticed a smell but I don't stick my head in it and breathe deeply either. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Me, too. My Folger's coffee cannister just sits on the counter next to the sink and gets dumped and rinsed out daily. Occasionally it gets washed and/or recycled. During harvest time, I'll have two coffee cans there, and they get dumped more often.

I have a cottage cheese container to hold egg shells sitting next to it. Shells dry and get fed back to chickens. Okay, I have a couple of those. One is always 'drying' on a rack in the laundry room.

gram of 5

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, I go to yard sales in the summer. Any time I find an old cheap tupperware "flour or sugar canistars" I pick it up. (I only use one at a time, but I keep a couple of spare ones in the basement when they wear out.) It works well for us and it gets stored under my kitchen sink. I haven't had a problem with smell at all. I do rinse it after I dump it and wash it occasionally in the dishwasher. I also have a large yoghurt container for chicken eggs until I can bake them on the weekend. I also have a stainless bowl (from yard sales)that I use to put food scraps that don't go in the compost that I use to feed the chickens daily. :)